Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message interpretation

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a legacy version of Framemaker (v5) and a collection of .fm files that I am trying to edit.
One of the edits tries to add a .jpeg image to a file. To do this, I create and select an empty
Graphics frame. I then click on File -> Import -> File... I then navigate to the .jpeg file and
click on Import. When I do this, I see the message:

The filter encountered an error and could not compete the translation

which, I don't understand.

Although I have been able to import many such images in the past, doing this no longer works
for me. I have tried different images and different image formats, all with the same result. I have
searched online for interpretations of this message, to no avail. I have even tried completely
reinstalling Framemaker. Nothing I do changes the outcome.

Can anyone provide an interpretation for this message? Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Of course, one possibility would be to buy a more recent version of Framemaker. But before
I do this, I want to better understand the problem, so I can have some confidence that the
new version would fix it. Also, if I do this, can I expect that .fm or .mif files created in v5 would
work on the most recent version?

Thanks.

Spencer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I have a legacy version of Framemaker (v5)…

What processor and operating system are you using? Never having tried anything more arcane than FM7 on an XP VM, two tech issues seem rather more than likely:
1. FM5 filters still have some 16-bit code that just won't run on an x86-64 CPU, and/or
2. Running it on Win7 or later, even in Compatibility Mode might encounter one or more incompatible APIs.

Your trying of different graphics file formats probably excludes issues with the Jpeg itself (e.g. JPEG2000). I presume that one of the alternative format you tried was EPS, which should be the most portable.

re: …one possibility would be to buy a more recent version of Framemaker.

If you have a spare machine on Win10, download and run the trial version of FM2020. It's no-charge for 30 days.

re: … can I expect that .fm or .mif files created in v5 would work on the most recent version?

Yes, based on having done it many times (back as far as FM4). You can expect to encounter dialogs warning of internal structure updates, and there will be some conversion of FM special characters to Unicode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spencer,

«The filter encountered an error and could not compete the translation»

Filters convert the external format of  a file to an internal format used by FM. Filters are updated at least for a major new version of FM, because the  format of something (e.g. images ) has been updated...

As Bob Niland pointed out, a newer version of FM may handle your images correctly. You may send the image offline (see my profile) to check in FM 6 … 16, from which FM version on it can be handled. I know for example, that even FM 6 could not handle *.png files...

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On the plus side, congratulations for getting ~25 year old software to run on your system 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines