Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Everything's coming up BOLDED in the PDF

Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro

FrameMaker 2019, build 956 (yes, there's an update 6 now)

So far this seems to be affecting only one book, but I haven't had a chance to see if the same thing is happening in other books. This is the first day I've seen it happen.

Edited to Update: It is happening with other documents. I'm going to try turning the computer off and on again. If that doesn't work, I'll reinstall Acrobat. If that doesn't work, HELP!

The FM file is showing as normal.

When I create a PDF using either Save As PDF (which is my normal process) or the Publish pod, all of the text in the book gets bolded, as do the graphic lines I use FM's graphics tool to draw. 

When I create a PDF using the Print option, the text and graphic lines display just as they do in the FM file (that is, they're not bolded or thickened).

I've already MIF-washed it. Twice.

Any ideas? I'm putting it in FM because that's my source, but it could be more appropriate to the Acrobat forum.

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebooting seems to have fixed the problem.

Bloody Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of curiosity, what typeface, vintage & font file type (OTF, PFM, TTF)?

And what code point range (basic Latin, extended Latin, higher Unicode)?

And did Acrobat report anything interesting in its font page?

"Bolded" is an interesting choice of words in the FM context, too, as it can sometimes be applied to a font that doesn't have a native Bold instance. Not sure that Acrobat can see that, and it's likely to report just synthetic subsetted font names anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Source Sans Pro in our documents. They are TTF and mostly in the basic Latin range. 

I have the PDF properties set to embed Source Sans Pro Regular, Source Sans Pro Bold, and Source Sans Pro Italic in the PDF because I think (and I may be mistaken), that this ensures people without those fonts on their system will see the PDF properly.

I've attached screenshots of the same piece of text from a PDF that came out really Bolded (1) and one that came out correctly (2).

I hadn't thought to look at the Acrobat > Properties > Fonts, and you're right, they are different. I've attached another screen shot showing that the incorrect version embedded far fewer fonts (1) than the correct version (2)

image.png

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's peculiar that the defective document has what appears to be 2 different instances of SourceSansPro Regular,
one as TT without the "Regular", and
one as T1 with "-Regular"
and the reporting details for Bold vary as well.

If the artifact re-appears, deeper digging may be needed.

If this is a Windows problem, some other PDF-generating apps may also have been affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Word created a PDF with no issues the same day, pre-reboot. I agree it's weird that the font information is different pre- and post- reboot, but all I did to fix it was to reboot, so I got nuttin'.

Acrobat DC Pro is being a real problem for me. I literally had my computer re-imaged last week* because I kept getting the infamous "failed to connect to DDE server", and that was after:

• editing the registry to change the A to R (and why that would help when I'm not using Reader and it isn't installed is beyond me)
  • making sure it is fully updated (it is, we have it by subscription)
  • having an Adobe tech support person delete every single Adobe program off the computer (pre re-image, and I had to make a complaint about that because they deleted EVERYTHING without asking and I had to reconstruct my Frame workspaces which took a while as it's highly customized).

I can't turn off the anti-virus because that's a corporate requirement, and that's the only other suggested fix available.

Even after the reimaging and reinstallation of CC and Acrobat DC Pro, I'm still getting the DDE error. I guess I just have to keep clicking OK on the bloody error message or restarting Acrobat all the time. Or rebooting the computer, if the emboldening happens again. It's aggravating. And when I download a PDF via Chrome, I have to click for the menu to open it in Acrobat, since clicking the file in the browser's download bar doesn't open it automatically in Acrobat, and isn't that just another PITA?

* I was having other issues, too, not just this, but they involved MS office programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines