Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extendscript IDE doesn't open FM2017

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just decided to look into using extendscript on FM2017 but the IDE doesn't open when I click File>Script>New Script.

I see a recent question on here concerning FM2019 but nothing relating to FM2017.

Any clue how to get this working?

Thanks.... mike

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the ESTK (ExtendScriptToolKit) installed?

If YES, launch it directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Program Folder (x86) > Adobe > Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC > ExtendScript Tookit.exe

If this file is not there, reinstall FrameMaker 2017 and make sure the option Install ExtendScript is selected.

Welcome to the world of FrameMaker scripters. FYI, we will be starting a series of blogs to introduce newbies to the art of ExtendScript soon. We will certainly post anouncements of blog posts here.

4everJang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply 4everJang.

I look forward to following the blogs. I've done a lot of Actionscript and a bit of VBA coding in the past, but nothing for about 8 years, so I hope I'll be able to pick up the ESTK reasonable quickly.

I'm currently updating about 120 FrameMaker 7/8/2017 books (abt 26,000 pages) for a customer's company takeover, corporate re-branding, new product names.... new everything. I just wish I'd looked at some scripting a few years ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, while you are waiting for blogs, I have a bunch of free samples here that might help you out:

FrameMaker ExtendScript Samples - West Street Consulting

I echo the welcome that others have given. FM scripting is a beautiful thing, perhaps one of its most valuable features that is often overlooked.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the kind welcome. Unfortunately it'll probably be a while before I get up to speed and can contribute anything constructive, so I hope you don't mind another 'taker' on the forum mean-time.

I visited your sample site a few days ago when I was looking around for resources before making up my mind whether or not to dip my toe in the water, and it looked very useful indeed. Now that I've got the ESTK working I can revisit and try out a few examples, so thanks for that.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike

I'm currently updating about 120 FrameMaker 7/8/2017 books (abt 26,000 pages) for a customer's company takeover, corporate re-branding, new product names.... new everything. I just wish I'd looked at some scripting a few years ago

It looks like a big challenge. Especially for someone who is new to ExtendScript for FrameMaker.

If this task is time-sensitive, it would be the easiest and quickest way, to take some money and ask one of the professionals here in the forum to do that for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Klaus.

The ESTK app was installed but when I tried to run it externally it hung up. So re-installation did the trick.

I applied an FM2017 a couple weeks ago so don't know if that had any effect.

Now for the 'learning'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines