• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FDK custom dialog scrolling list item limit

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM is crashing when I am population a list of items in a scrolling list display. I think it is due to the number of items, around 1000 or more lines and it crashes, otherwise it works fine.

Is there a hard limit on the number of items displayed? Can it be overridden or is there an alternative similar display method?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not be surprised if there was some kind of limit to that number. I would not think a list item box with that number of entries would be good user interface design in the first place. What is the use case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen any limit described in the documentation, but it certainly seems that there must be a limit. 1000 sounds like a reasonable limit to me, because we are talking about a UI widget. As a user, I would not want to scroll through 1000 items. There are many tricks you could use to streamline the list and dynamically repopulate based on user behavior, but I will readily admit that the FDK UI tools are rudimentary. Like Jang suggests, perhaps if we knew more about your use case we could offer better suggestions.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are both right, it is displaying a list of image references grouped by document. I would probably need to work more and if the list is too long display only the references for one document and have another list of documents to select from. As you say this will then repopulate the list with a fewer number of items. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another idea to help your users, not necessarily related to the original problem of exceeding FM capabilities... You might consider adding a field for a basic text filter. For example, you could enter "diagram" and the list shortens to any filename/path/whatever that only contains that substring. I did that for a list of targets in a custom cross-reference dialog and it really improved the ability to find the desired target.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What do you want to happen when your user selects an image from the list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines