Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FDK File object constructors

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I like to transpose an ESTK script to a FDK command.
The ESTK script reads an XML file and set the content of some variables in a FM template file based on a key selection.
Key and variables data are all defined in the XML file.

All information about file object for an ESTK script are available in Adobe JS Tools Guide.

Where may I find similar information for a FDK development?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the FDK documentation at the FrameMaker developer centre: https://www.adobe.com/devnet/framemaker.html

The links to the PDF files are shown below the FDK installer download links.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Along with what Ian said, I would like to add that the ES and FDK environments are quite different. While the library of FrameMaker-specific functions operate very similarly, everything else requires a different way of thinking. I say this because you specifically mention the "file" object, which does not exist in the FDK. In fact, the FDK has no concept of non-FrameMaker objects at all, unless you incorporate C++ code or do some fancy coding to simulate an object-oriented environment. Certainly, you can use standard C library functions to interact with the file system, but it is a different process entirely.

Typically, every aspect of the FDK is more difficult and less convenient, with the exception of the advanced IDE features of Visual C++, versus the ESTK. Visual C++ provides far better tools for code organization, navigation, and debugging. I don't know what your motivation to move from ES to the FDK, but I would think it through very carefully. I think that most developers now prefer ES for any project that can be reasonably coded in ES.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Ian, but I do not find any FDK documents similar to either adobe JS Tools Guide or jstools Documentation that may be helpful to manage fileObj and use related functions with C++ code.

Do you have some more accurate documentation or examples?

Thanks.

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only FDK documents that I know of are listed on that page. Here are the direct links to the PDF files:

FDK Programmer's Guide

FDK Programmer's API Reference

I understand that you've probably already seen these, but there is nothing included in the FDK to make it as user friendly as ExtendScript.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct. If you want help with general C or C++, you will have to look somewhere else. Surely there must be an endless supply of resources available. For Adobe, their only logical responsibility is to document how the FrameMaker-specific library of C functions work.

Russ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines