• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FDK sample build issue - unresolved __declspec(dllImport)

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with the trial version of Framemaker and I downloaded the FDK.  I'm running VS2017, and I can't get a good build.  I started with unresolved external symbols for printf (for which I found an answer to add legacy_stdio_definitions.lib; to the project's linker input, and an unresolved reference to __declspec(dllImport) which I cannot find.

What do I need to do to get a build for these samples so that I can properly evaluate the usefullness to our organization, please? 

Thanks,

Kim

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kim,

IDE compatibility and build issues are very frustrating. The situation is compounded by the lack of any clear documentation. I'd recommend that you post your question here, where some more seasoned developers lurk:

Yahoo! Groups

Thanks to the expertise of a few helpful individuals, I've been able to solve similar problems through that forum.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kim,

I am absolutely sure that you will not get anything solved using VS2017. The FrameMaker 2017 product was created well before VS2017 was released and VS tends to change their underlying technology with every version. This is especially true for library calls. It is important to use the exact same version of VS that was used to build the FrameMaker version you are developing a DLL for. I believe that FM2017 was created using VS2015.

I hope this helps

Jang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FDK libraries are built with VS2013. But you can use also versions above.

But make sure your project settings in "Plattform Toolset" are set to "Visual Studio 2013 (v120)"

Have a look at the samples in FDK samples folder. Try to build this and it should.

Create an empty Project, not an Win32 Project and start from scratch

Perhaps it's a good idea to take one of this sample project as Basis for your own project.

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kim, Depending on what your automation needs are, you may want to consider using ExtendScript instead of FDK plugins (API clients). I got tired of having to recompile my plugins with new releases of FrameMaker so I rewrote them with ExtendScript, which is built into FrameMaker 10 and above. For the most part, I have been very happy with the results. Also, I have written several hundred ExtendScript scripts for clients.

I would be happy to meet with you offlist to see what your workflow is and what you want to automate. Thanks. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines