• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature request: Make it possible to skip ALL *.lck files when opening a crashed document

Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-10835

Right now I am working with some big book files and they are pretty unstable with crashes on and off.

It IS possible to delete all lck files using Windows Explorer, but I would really like the Open and Reset dialogue to be more versatile and allow to open ALL crashed files with one click.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea and I voted for it, Bjørn.

In the meantime—for others reading this post—consider keeping the active project folder open in File Explorer, in Details view and sorted by Type. Then it's just a click, Shift+click to select all the .lck files and delete them. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do something similar for backup files, but I use a program called xplorer2 that lets me keep multiple folders open and also lets me have preprogrammed filters. All I have to do is select the delete backups filter and the only thing I see is the backup files. This ensures I don't accidentally select the actual save file as opposed to the backup file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I do this with Total Commander. Very handy.

When I just type lck, it filters so that only files with lck are shown. Then select all and delete.

And I can also create predefined filters, e.g. for backup files which I do not need in a certain folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lin, I use the same xplorer² as a replacement of the Windows File explorer and also use the filter method to delete this stuff.

However there is still the task to open all the *.auto.fm files and save them to the *.fm files. IMHO this should be automated by a switch in the Restore Last Session process.

During development of scripts working on books (or another bunch of files) it often happens that FM crashes (even with no crash log) and leaves the *.auto.fm files there besides the *.lck files. O yes, as least the *.lck files i could avoid, because I never have file from a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall seeing *.auto.fm files. What generates those?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The are created by Preferences > Auto Save Every x minutes and are a life saver. You can even set them below 5 minutes and don't notice much delay in your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. That explains it, I have autosave turned off. I got in the habit of saving very, very frequently thanks to Word's lack of stability, and when you're working with non-local files I found that having autosave on causes issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What do you mean, 

"*.lck files i could avoid, because I never have file from a network." ?

Thanks,

Shalom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your General Preferences, you can set Frame to lock a file if it is on a network. This at least warns another user that the file is in use if they also try to edit it.

If everything is local, this isn't necessary because no one else is using files on your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I did not know it could be turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree too. In fact, I got so tired of this that I just made a Windows batch file that I run after every crash. Just a bunch of lines like this:

del /P C:\documentation\some_folder\*.lck  
del /P C:\documentation\some_folder\*.recover*  
del /P C:\documentation\some_other_folder\*.lck  
del /P C:\documentation\some_other_folder\*.recover*  

etc.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bjoern,

Is this (https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-10835) a correct URL? I get "No issues found" in the public tracker.

I would like to amend the requirement by somthing like this:

«However there is still the task to open all the *.auto.fm files and save them to the *.fm files. IMHO this should be automated by a switch in the Restore Last Session process.

During development of scripts working on books (or another bunch of files) it often happens that FM crashes (even with no crash log) and leaves the *.auto.fm files there besides the *.lck files.»

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. Odd - and I can't find the feature request by searching either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LinSims:

Wait. Are you saying that if this checkbox is disabled when working locally, that the .lck files won't ever be generated again after a crash?

~Barb

lock.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They aren't generated after a crash. They're created when someone opens a file that is located on a network drive. When you close a file normally, Frame deletes the lock file. If Frame crashes, the lock files don't get deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines