• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Figure numbering jumped backward and duplicated 9 figure numbers

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my figure numbering set up in a 2,000+ page document (welcome to government life) and have never had issues.  Recently, I had to convert the files to the newer version of FM.  As I was making changes and updates to the document (not styles), I realized that my Figures proceeded as follows: 2-147, 2-148, 2-139, 2-140..they continue correctly from that point on, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why the figure number jumped back by 9! There are duplicates of figure numbers.  Any help appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

MimiJane:

Rereading this thread and noting that you said you're new to FrameMaker, it looks like the key missing concept is that of a labeled autonumber sequence: If you add a label -- a capital letter followed by a colon (i.e., H: in Barb's example, which reflects a common practice for heading numbers) -- you are relating that paragraph format's autonumber to the autonumbers of all the other paragraph formats that also employ the same label. IOW, all H:-labeled paragraphs are linked to each othe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if there's an intervening heading between Figure 2-148 and Figure 2-139: Assuming the figure title autonumber and your heading autonumbers are part of the same labeled sequence, there may be something about a subheading autonumber format that's resetting your figure number (though usually when I've seen this problem, the figure number gets set back to 1). For sequences with the same label, all paragraphs in the sequence (i.e., all the heading styles, figure titles, table titles, whatever else...) must have the same number of counters in their autonumber formats, and each counter needs to stand for the same thing in every string. IOW, if you've got 3 levels of numbered headings, figures, and tables, all your autonumber strings will include 5 counters, and the 4th counter in each string will hold the position of the figure number (even though it will only be displayed in actual figure titles).

Hope this helps....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figured out what is causing it.  There are 139 figures called "Alert X-X", where they jump back, is the figure picking up on that numbering even though the styles are different.  I'm new to FM, so your answer helped a lot and I realized the formula for numbering was exactly the same:<$chapnum>–<N+>! I took out  chap num and it disassociated the links. Any idea how I can continue numbering after I changed the formula of the Alert set to differ from my main figures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mimijane:

We can help you set this up, but first tell us what paragraphs need to be numbered with the chapter number and sequential number. Figures obviously, but also tables? Heads? Subheads?

Here is a blog post I wrote for my students to explain how to set up numbered heads: Adobe FrameMaker: Numbered Headings, Continued – Rocky Mountain Training.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mimijane:

Barb's linked blog post reflects exactly how my group has our heading/figure/table numbering set up. In your case, I would recommend treating your Alert figures as part of the same sequence (labeled H: in Barb's example; that's what we use, too), with an autonumber format that looks like...

H:Alert <$chapnum>-< >< >< >< ><n+>

You'll also have to add one additional counter to the end of each of the existing autonumber formats -- < =0> at the end of the Chapter heading (to reset the Alert numbering for each new chapter) and < > at the end of all the others -- to hold the place of the Alert figure number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MimiJane:

Rereading this thread and noting that you said you're new to FrameMaker, it looks like the key missing concept is that of a labeled autonumber sequence: If you add a label -- a capital letter followed by a colon (i.e., H: in Barb's example, which reflects a common practice for heading numbers) -- you are relating that paragraph format's autonumber to the autonumbers of all the other paragraph formats that also employ the same label. IOW, all H:-labeled paragraphs are linked to each other, but they're unrelated to any autonumbers with a different label, or with no label.

So an alternate solution to your problem would be to add H: to the beginning of the autonumber formats for all your heading, (regular) figure, and table paragraphs, and then create a new label for your Alert figure paragraph autonumber:

A:Alert <$chapnum>-<n+>

The problem with this is that it won't automatically reset at the beginning of each chapter, but you can fix that by setting your Paragraph Numbering Properties (under Format>Document>Numbering..) to Restart Paragraph Numbering (if that won't screw up any of your other numbering).

Personally, I would add the Alert figure titles to your H: sequence, but there are (as there usually are) multiple ways to skin this particular cat.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For clarification, the label Bill refers to will be described as a series indicator when you're digging through FrameMaker reference docs.

Separating autonumbers that aren't connected (other than variables like <$chapnum>) into different series is the perfect way to reduce the number of building blocks used in your autonumbers, and prevent the inadvertent autonumbering you're seeing.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone! I was able to get it figured out and fixed based on everyone's feedback AND learn a lot about FM at the same time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines