Figure Numbers are not Sequential

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! I'm working with an old manual that has been edited by many hands over the years. I'm havin an issue that looks like has been around for awhile in the document but never truly fixed. I'm hoping to change that with your help.

When I look at the figure numbers they are sequential and the auto numbering works and then suddenly it doesnt. Example: Figure 4-22....4-30 and then it will go to 4-19. I look in the Paragraph Designer and it shows the same format with counter as the previous working ones

"Figure <$chapnum>< >-<n+>< >< >< >< > ". I can manually enter the number and then will have to do the same for the next few figures and then the auto counter will work again but bases it on the manual number I previously entered. This scenario happens over and over in the chapter. 

This is driving me a little crazy. I'd appreaciate the help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scan the document between Figure 4-30 and Figure 4-19 and there must be other paragraphs that have autonumbering set that is messing up the sequence. For example, some numbered steps. If you send me the document, I will try to find it.

If you want detailed information on FrameMaker autonumbering, check out these videos:

http://frameautomation.com/framemaker-autonumber-primer/

http://frameautomation.com/advanced-autonumber-concepts/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input. That makes sense to me. Is there a way to quickly scan the document to see where the number sequence is coming from and goin to? Do the videos discuss that? Unfortunately, I'm unable to send the document due to customer restrictions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've watched the videos and tried scanning the inbetween sections. I was unable to find anything. I then deleted the entire section between the two figures and the problem remained. Do you have any more advice?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the file, it is difficult to tell. Are you allowed to do a web meeting? I can try to look at it via a web meeting. Please let me know at rick at frameexpert dot com.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other suspects include disconnected pages, causing Flow order disruption, and having multiple of the same auto-number para tag in a single Acnhored Frame.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried labeled your numbering schemes? For example: "F:Figure <$chapnum>< >-<n+>< >< >< >< > ".

I'm not a big fan of the "one scheme to rule them all" methodology. I prefer labeling each unique scheme as it is easier for others to update without breaking anything.

David Creamer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Professional, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great point. Might be more easily found in the documentation as "series label".

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Bruce5EC9 :

Were the earlier figures using overrides? When people don't understand how numbers should be defined, they tend to override them on an as needed basis. It's a short-term fix but causes issues in the long run. I suspect that is what you are dealing with.

What happens if you click at the end of Figure 4-30 and press Enter? What number appears on the next line? It it isn't 4-31, you have override issues. Since we can't see your file, I would:

• Save the file first
  • Update Style, Remove overrides

See if the numbers straighten themselves out. If not, let us know what is happening. Any of us can help you straighten it out.

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines