Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File lock after book closing

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,
I have a problem with Framemaker version 17 (release September 2022)

After editing and saving a file, I close the book. When I reopen the book and open the file edited before, a warning appears that the file is already open by another user ( practically generated a .lck file). If I remove the .lck and open the file, I see that it no longer has the changes I made previously.

Do any of you know how this is possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luca,

This sounds very mysterious.

I assume that no-one else has access to this file.

Sometimes FrameMaker does not delete the lck file after closing. This is a bug which is still not completely fixed, even in FrameMaker 17 update 1.

However, your file should nevertheless be saved.

Can you reproduce this issue?

Do you notice this only with a specific file? Or also new files?

Where is your file? On your harddrive or on a network?

Can you save other files (text, etc.) in this folder?

Do you notice this also after you restarted Windows?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Today I will try to reproduce the problem.
This problem occurs on all the files I edit within the book.
The files are on a network.
No there are only .fm files in the folder.
This problem occurs when I switch off the pc at the end of the working day and switch it back on the next day.
If I save these files and reopen them the same day without shutting down framemaker the problem does not exist.
I have a new PC with Windows 11. Can this be the problem? With Windows 10, and Framamker 2020 I have never had any problems.

Thanks,

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I would then always make backup copies before you close FrameMaker.

And I would test, when you have your files on your local harddrive.

And: Do you have installed update 1?

No. I had not heard of such issues, neither with Windows 11 nor with FM 17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luca ( @Luca Seravalle ),

an exisiting LCK file tells that the relating book/fm file wasn't correctly closed (normally a crash is involved).

1) What kind of network are you using? A local network (shared folder) or a cloud based one like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive etc.?

2) You said "This problem occurs when I switch off the pc at the end of the working day".

Please describe step-by-step what you are doing when switching off your pc, starting with after the last step in your FM book.

As Winfried I have never heard of such a problem.

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Analysing the problem more closely, I discovered that these .lck files are generated after the "find/replace" command... and reading in the forum it's the same problem that Mr Winfried had. (FrameMaker does not delete lck files correctly on May 03, 2022), the only difference being that if I keep Framemaker open the changes remain.

If I close Framemaker and restart the PC, when I reopen the files the .lck warning appears on each one.

If I remove the .lck and open the file, the changes are not there, as if the new file was the previous backup.

I just installed update 1 as it says in the features that they fixed bugs on the .lck.
I will let you know if the problem disappears with this update.

Thanks so much,

Best Regards

Luca

@Winfried Reng 

@mk-will 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines