• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find/change text in cross-references, too

Participant ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to search for specific text in a FM document - no matter what that text appears as (cross-reference, variable, etc.) - using Find/Change? If it isn't possible, is there a different way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Hi,

I recommend to create a PDF and use the Advanced Search (SHIFT+CTRL+F) in Acrobat.

Then you can find easily all text in cross-references and variables.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the text to be changed is sufficiently unique (and not an FM keyword or MIF markup term):

0. make a backup copy in case this goes off the rails
1. save the document as MIF to a .mif
2. open the MIF with a plaintext editor
3. change-all, save
4. reopen MIF in FM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cameo:

Find/Change only works on live text within FrameMaker, not automated text like in x-refs or variables, the only other option I can think of is to use Find/Change on the text and then edit the x-refs.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you for the explanation! I'll remember to search the x-refs, too, after searching for text that needs to be edited.

~Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recommend to create a PDF and use the Advanced Search (SHIFT+CTRL+F) in Acrobat.

Then you can find easily all text in cross-references and variables.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While that would certainly work, Winfried, I wouldn't want to have to remember to repeat the process each time the PDF is generated. If I were the one managing this document, I'd rather spend the time editing the source files and then not thinking about it again. Maybe that's just me.

~Barb

EDIT: It was me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were doing a search like this it would be to create a record of where changes need to be made. Winfried's suggestion would be a fast and accurate way to create my to-do list, without digging through variables, xrefs, master pages, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, thanks Matt.

Winfried—I completely misread this sentence "Then you can find easily all text in cross-references and variables." My apologies. That's a great idea.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines