• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

find occurrences of a variable

Advisor ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scenario: about 80% of the occurrences of a variable need to be updated, though I haven't yet decided whether text or a second variable is the more appropriate. Challenge: finding occurrences!

I've checked my trusty FM 7.0 User Guide, which says under About searching "You can search for any of the following items: […] Variables – that's it. I've also tried a web search, which included forum postings. I think I may end up taking my own advice and apply a colour to the variable in question so I can search by eye: but it would be interesting to hear of a more efficient way of running this sort of search.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Hi FieryPantone,

I do not know which FM version you have. In the latest versions open the Find/Change pod.

In the Find list select Variable - Of Name.

In the text box enter the name of the variable. You can also enter just some characters of the variable name and use wildcards or regular expressions to find more than one variable.

Then click Find.

In older FM versions you might have to select something else to search for variables, but you always have to enter the variable name.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FieryPantone,

I do not know which FM version you have. In the latest versions open the Find/Change pod.

In the Find list select Variable - Of Name.

In the text box enter the name of the variable. You can also enter just some characters of the variable name and use wildcards or regular expressions to find more than one variable.

Then click Find.

In older FM versions you might have to select something else to search for variables, but you always have to enter the variable name.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely right, Winfried … and I really should have thought of that for myself. Still with FM12, where it's just a question of selecting 'Variable of Name' from the Find pulldown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines