• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 14.0.1.406 Help not working

Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just discovered - is it only on my system? - that F1 (Help > Help Topics…) does not do anything.

This is an installation from the TCS6-suite with a registration key lasting until november 2017 + the update.

Previously I had the last beta-version installed (which was the same as the published: 14.0.0.361 - just no ReadMe file available) + update.

I had not checked then, so I can not say, that there was no problem with Help.

My system is W7 x64

Can this problem be confirmed by others?

Klaus Daube

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F1 is working as expected for me Klaus. (FM 14.0.1.406, TCS6, Win 10)

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

In contrast to my other very nasty problem (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2346713) the Windows restore did not help for this problem. F1 still does nothing. Also Help > Help Topics still does nothing.

I also have FM 14.0.1.406, TCS6, but on Win7 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me here as well as expected (14.0.1).

You do have Internet Explorer 11 installed?

Have you checked if your Firewall or AV are blocking FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stefan,

I have installed ie 11.0.9600.18697

Firewall blocking FM?

Never had a problem from any other FM than FM-14 looking for the help files on the net.

There is quite a chain: Cable modem > Router > pc/laptop via ethernet and/or LAN > Windows Firewall / ESET Nod32 Antivirus

IE reports at each start: "Your current security settings put your computer at risk". I have Secutiy level for zone All: medium.

And there are these trusted sites: http://www.adobe.com and https://forums.adobe.com due to other problems. I will add http://help.adobe.com and look what happens (need propably to restart Windows).

Windows Firewall is set to notify if a new pgm is blocked (both realms), so I should get a message if FM is affected.

Update after Windows reboot:

• Additional trusted site has no positive effect (Help still not working).
  • Switching off the network and then pressing F1 opens the chm help - as expected.
  • Using any of the links in this CHM file (secion Appendix > Additional resoureces) does not create any problem.
  • Opening help.adobe.com directly in IE does not create any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definetely have no luck with this!

Even after re-installing FM-14 and updating 1 and 2 without .NET 4.7 (due to the CTRL+0 problem - see https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2346713).

The .NET situationis now this:

.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2  ver: 2.0.50727.5420
.NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2  ver: 3.0.30729.5420
.NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1  ver: 3.5.30729.5420
.NET Framework 4.6.2  ver: 4.6.01590
I have alrady described th security stuff.

Does anyone know how the help command really works?

Obviosly it not a simple hypertext command. Commands like the following work as intended.

<Command DDD_site    <Label Open D+DD website>
  <Hypertext message URL http://daube.ch/docu/fmaker00.html>>

<Add DDD_site                          <Menu ETBmenu>>

If I don't get it working, I will simply replace the help command in the menu by an appropriate hypertext command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More research on this subject…

No such problem in FM-13 - even after the Windows update debacle.

In both FM-13.0.5.547 and FM-14.0.xx there is a file $HOME\HelpCfg.ini which points to the online help file:

<OnlineUrl>http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/vvvv/using/index.html</OnlineUrl>
with vvvv being 2015 or 2017.

The contents of this file is used in the display of Help > Help Topics… in the 5th icon (dorpdown Help Center).

But in FM-14 (aka 2017) this is not opened - maybe due to the product ID, wich in both files (FM-13, FM-14) is

<ProductID>ADBEAAAA-1234-9876-EEEE-FAFAADBEEDBA</ProductID>

Is the product ID independent of the release?

Has it any influence in this situation?

Does FM-14 Help not use the file HelpCfg.ini ?

What is the execution path from Help > Help Topics… to the help file?

Something on this path obviously is broken in my FM-14 installation.

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

can you please try to test, if it also happens, when FM 2017 is installed in the directory where it should be installed?

That is, "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2017\".

I have just tested it and renamed the "Adobe FrameMaker 2017" folder to "Adobe FrameMaker 2017 - Test". Et voilà - now it doesn't work anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Although beeing now an expert in un-installing and installing FM-14 I have no luck with it concerning Help.

Application is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2017\FrameMaker.exe

It runs as expected, but help still does not work.

Running the $HOME\helpviewer.exe directly opens the help file as expected (that was also the case before in the  "H:\Adobe\FrameMaker.14en\Adobe FrameMaker 2017\FrameMaker.exe" installation).

Restart Windows (one never knows…) and ...

No change - Help not working in 14.0.0.361

BTW: even if it would work when installed on C: - this is not an option for me: all Adobe- and other apps are on H (since Windows 95).

Update 1:

Same thing, Help not working in 14.0.1.406

Update 2:

Same thing, Help not working in 14.0.2.425

Is there a registry key involved?

Klaus

Update:

Until we find something useful I will re-install in H: I hate to have everything on the same partition - it's tough enough that the user area can not be moved to another disk(partition).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have done the following test in FM-14.0.2.425:

1. Rename Helpviewer.exe to !_Helpviewer.exe => Help > Help Topics creates error message "pgm not found".
  2. Hence it clear that the command works correctly.
  3. Double clicking on the renamed file: Helpviewer opens the relevant web-page and displays the User Guide for FM-14.
  4. Hence the program works correctly (as already stated earlyer).
  5. Copy Helpviewer.exe from the Fm-13 installation to the FM-14 installation and issuing Help > Help Topics: The correct user guide for FM-14 is displayed. This is due to the helpviewer.ini .

It's a mystery why the standard way does not work.

The file versions reported are 1 behind for both: HV-13: 12.0.4.452; HV-14: 13.0.0.257.

There must be differences between HV-13 and HV-14. The program files are 88'808 (HV-13) and 90'248 (HV-14) bytes long. But I have not found the difference, because I can not see the program code in ResHacker, just the resources which are identical.

Hence for the time being I stay with the copied version from FM-13 and watch the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines