Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2019-FrameMaker document-creating a standard index

Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have created a 274 page FrameMaker document (eBook for HTML5 publishing). Need to create a basic index at the end of the document, alphabetized a-z with each index subject word and page numbers where the word appears in multiple pages in the document.

For example,

A

attitude, 12, 35, 92, 121, 208, 245

Reading in the help materials about indexing in a FrameMaker (unstructured) document, I find the first instance of "attitude" (page 12 in this example) and using the insert marker tab, I select "attitude", create the Index tag. This show when I display text symbols ("T").

So far, so good. But, is there a way that I can automate the process so that the other page locations (35, 92, 121, 208, 245) are automatically picked up, without having to manually enter the Index marker for each and every appearance of the same word in the document?

I have created a notepad text draft index with alot of word entries, and I am hoping there is an automated process that I can use to search each potential index word on my list, find and add the multiple page numbers where these appears and tag/marker the word on each of those pages, create the index (with hyperlinks to the pages), if this automation is possible? Maybe a plugin or script?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Yes, there's a (fairly) painless way to add the other markers...Select the instance of attitude, including the marker and copy it to the clipboard. Then use the Find/Change dialog to search for attitude, and use the Replace: By Pasting option.

Now you can search for individual instances, or change all instances in a file, or in a book.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there's a (fairly) painless way to add the other markers...Select the instance of attitude, including the marker and copy it to the clipboard. Then use the Find/Change dialog to search for attitude, and use the Replace: By Pasting option.

Now you can search for individual instances, or change all instances in a file, or in a book.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Matt. This would be a great time saver, considering I have alot of index words.

I'll try it out.

(BTW I would like to mark your answer as correct, but this option has "mysteriously" disappeared from my forum page view using an FF browser, even though I am signed in. Apologies.)

Best Wishes,

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SaratogaCoach:

Matt's answer is absolutely the correct way to add multiple instances of a word to an index in FrameMaker. If this solves your issue, just swing back and let us know and I will mark Matt's answer as correct. (Or you can.)

But—and this may not be important to you today—it is confusing to a reader to encounter an entry like:

A
Attitude, 12, 35, 92, 121, 208, 245, 303, 375, 400, 402, 354, 656, 686, etc.

Which page has the content they are looking for? A thoughtfully-created index will have multiple levels to help the reader locate the content they need:

A
Attitude

bad attitude, 245, 303, 375, 400

cop an attitude, 686, 687, 688

good attitude, 12, 35, 92, 121, 208

improve your attitude, 402, 354, 656

And one more drawback of the find/change approach is seen on the "cop an attitude" line. FrameMaker has a page range command that would update it to show the line below, but the find/change approach won't be able to accomplish that, either. 

cop an attitude, 686–688

Just some thoughts to share from someone who does a lot of work with indexing! 😉

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I couldn't agree more: an index with these improved options would be a strong addition, helping the reader better locate items of specific interest. I'm on a steep learning curve for indexing skills and welcome these suggestions. My eBook, as a work in progress, hopefully will get better with time, as I learn these more nuanced skills. Indexing, IMHO, is a critical skill by itself, when writing a book. Up to now, I've been preoccupied with content writing. 

As to marking Matt's correct answer as correct, I tried to locate this option yesterday when I first wrote back, but atleast on my forum page view (I am signed in), it is no longer available. It used to be available, but, yesterday, my format options "mysteriously" changed. So feel free to mark it as correct (if I could I would myself). Oddly, yesterday, at the same time as the page view format changed, I received about 10 badges, going back to participation on numerous Adobe forums, starting in 2006. All showed up in my email at once. So, maybe some temporary forum upgrading is going on that will resolve soon. Hopefully, my option in a signed-in view to mark an answer as correct will return?

Best Wishes,

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, I got the same flood of emails after my first login with the new system...I can only imagine that Barb got about 5x the badges and accomplishments I did!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SaratogaCoach:

Believe it or not, I have met a few career indexers in my lifetime—determining what goes in an index, and where, is their job. If you want to improve your index, I recommend locating a good resource how a good index is put together (including using see and see also). Once you decide how you want to design it, we can always give you a hand with the coding here.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb. Kind Regards, S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm taking a course in indexing now, although I haven't gotten to the part where it teaches you how to choose what does in and how to arrange it. It's fascinating the complexities behind something like this. I've always appreciated a good index.

In addition to the coding help Barb and others can provide here for creating the embedded index markers, there are at least two plugins that can be used with FrameMaker that ease the pain. One (well, two, really) is Index Tools/Index Tools Pro from Silicon Prairie, the other is IxGen from Frank Sterns Associates.

Note that Index Tools Pro can handle index markers for text that is conditional. I'm don't know if IxGen can, because I can't find anything referencing it in the user guide. On the other hand, I also haven't asked yet, so it might.

Index Tools/Index Tools Pro is a fairly bare bones method of creating index markers, and they have to be created individually as you go through the text. IxGen has a number of features that automate a lot of the work involved in creating an index, and you have to create a separate file with the terms you want to index. Its tools then insert the markers and can also create additional markers based on the tool selection. Index Tools/Index Tools Pro deals only with index markers. IxGen can work with all the different types of markers available in FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for these additional suggestions and resources.

I plan to start off with manual entry using FM's marker and find/replace tools, then see how I progress based on the number of index words.

Again, thank you for these options.

Best Wishes,

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines