• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2019 reluctant to start in the mornings :-}

Advisor ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last couple of days, according to the splash screen, it's got as far as DDE and then given up. Does this indicate there's something specifically wrong that can perhaps be corrected? or is it just another sign of a generally flaky corporate environment?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FieryPantone,

Does this mean that FrameMaker does not start at all? When you start FrameMaker separately or when you double-click a file?

Did anything on your system change?

What happens, when you deactivate your anti-virus application?

How do you see this DDE? I don't, or the start is too fast.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you shut down every night, sleep the machine, or hibernate it?

If hibernate, stop using that if you need everything to work.

~ ~ ~

Sometime in 2020 (or possibly 2019) I noticed that Hibernate disappeared from the Start » Power menu. You can add it back (and I have, and use it), but I suspect MS knows something.

~ ~ ~

Part of my final rendering workflow is a deliberate reboot. I don't necessarily do that for draft renderings, and in one this week, after Publish to PDF, and some preflight in AcroDC, all the "1" and "—" characters had vanished, but just in footnotes. I do not expect to be able to reproduce that artifact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• can't remember whether this was after starting FM from the menu or from a file
  • I always shut the machine down completely at the end of the day
  • next time I start up FM, I'll try and watch the splash screen in case I can see what happens just before it hangs
  • second try this morning (from the Start menu) fired up FM as normal

It's a mystery :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FieryPantone:

Sometimes rebuilding the preferences can help in a situation like this. Note that you can delete the folder or just rename it, allowing you to restore it if it doesn't help. 

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-resetting-preferences/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all have a hard time getting started in the morning. See if FM will accept a dose of caffeine. 😏

(Sorry I don't have an answer, but FM's reluctance to start sounds like me in the morning before my first 16 oz. of Mt. Dew.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

English Breakfast, that's the stuff …

The issue I mentioned bears all the hallmarks of every motorcyclist's nightmare 'intermittent electrical fault': in other words, it doesn't happen consistently enough to be something you can analyse and correct. Next time it crops up, I'll follow the advice from Barb / pulkitn and tinker with the Preferences folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have some mechanics to fix external issues which may be causing FM reluctant to start.
Contact  tcssup@adobe.com .

Some pointers I would like to suggest :

• This could happen due to some registry corruption on your system
  • Cleanup Preferences
  • Start FM in "Run as Admin" mode  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines