• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM2019 and Word/RTF

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let me say I am a novice when it comes to FM.  I did some experimenting this morning and came up with some consistent and inconsistent results.

Importing direct from a Word file results in images and a non-editable file.  This is consistent.

Importing from an RTF file sometimes results in images and a non-editable file but sometimes it does result in an editable file.  

Oddly if I copy/paste from Word I am able to edit.  Ditto if I copy paste from RTF.  Paste Special as RTF from both Word and RTF also produces editable files but it does muck up some formatting.

The only other thing I find odd, all the apps being Adobe, is that I can only import pdf's one page at a time and, including renditions, these result in non-editable files.

Is there a way to import a Word file, without Paste Special, that does not mess up the formatting and results in an editable file?

TOPICS
Content migration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure when you import the Word file that you choose Import by Copy instead of Import by Reference. See the bottom of the Import File dialog box.

If you do Import by Reference, simply double-click on the content and you can convert it to editable text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, first save your word file as .doc  (not .docx)

When you choose Import by Copy you will get a settings box. You can make settings to match the Word Styles to Frame Styles.

You might have to try this a few times to get the results you want, but once you ahve done this, you can save the settings and reuse.

If you need more details, ask again.

I refer you also to https://techcommtools.com/framemaker-word-import/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your cleanest import of just the content comes with a copy/paste - but only if you adjust your maker.ini to put TEXT at the beginning of the ClipboardFormatsPriorities= line:

ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT line - in that way, Paste acts like Paste Special. Then you can apply your FM paragraph and character tags on plain text content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines