• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM2019 - Publish xhtml - not publishing changed content (publishes old)

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that sounds cryptic 🙂

So... I have a book from which I generate four targets -- 2 pdf (via print book) and 2 xhtml (via publish). Yes, I know I can do pdf via publish as well, just haven't tried it yet.

Anyway... I've come across two bits of weirdness in FM2019 vs FM2015 (this is my first time generating these targets in fm2019, worked fine in fm2015):

• Weirdness #1: Generated xhtml perfectly, except I noticed that I had an error in a piece of text an associated image in one of my chapters (.fm file). Went into the chapter, fixed the text, altered the image (specifically, a callout in the image), and regenerated the output. Viewed the output and ... the text and image hadn't changed.

So... I cleared the output folder (f:\testing\target1) and regenerated again. Viewed the output... still the same text and image.

Cleared the output folder again, closed Framemaker, reopened, opened the book, regenerated, viewed output and it was fine.

Why is it not accepting the text/image change, and where did it pull the 'old' version from? (remember, I'd deleted the output folder)
  • Weirdness #2: Changed my conditional text settings to show the content I needed for my second xhtml target. Selected Publish, changed my Settings File to the version for the second target, changed the output folder from f:\testing\target1 to f:\testing\target2, generated the xhtml and viewed the output. It showed me the output from ..\target1.
    Went to the the f:\testing and saw that .\target2 had been created. Went to the index.html file and opened it and ... it had generated the target1 content in \target2.

Cleared the output folder (target2), closed Framemaker, reopened, opened the book, regenerated, viewed output and  ... it was fine.

Why/how is it generating the target1 content into target2?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is kind of irksome 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your browser is displaying cached content.

Are you viewing a local copy?

If so, I suggest you publish to a server (optimally, a sandbox location) and view from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought. But in both weirdnesses, I actually cleared the output folder (deleted all the files in the output folder), then re-published. This repopulated the output folder with the wrong content (in #1, repopulated all files, including the one with the wrong image; in #2, repopulated with the wrong target -- correct output folder, incorrect content).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does this happen all the time?

Can you always reproduce this issue?

What happens, when you close and re-open FM?

Or even restart Windows?

Or delete all temp files in temp folders?

I also think that this is a caching issue. I think that I read somewhere that this might happen.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have experienced something similar and here is the remedy. Thing is, FrameMaker sometimes has trouble clearing its own cache. 

So between each iteration of publishing do this:

• Shut down FrameMaker
  • Do a search for *.tmp and delete these files. You won't be able to delete all of them, but that is not a problem
  • Clear the browsers cache, if you are working with browswer open. Do a Ctrl+F5
  • Restart FrameMaker
  • Publish to a different directory than last time. I use an "export folder" with directories like "01", "02" etc.

This works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines