Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 10 "freezes" when I save book as XML

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to the concept behind Framemaker, so please bear with me.

I am currently using Framemaker 10 at work, in order to create structured books. Before creating the HTML version of these books, I have to save them as XML.

Unfortunately, when I'm trying to save one of the book files as XML, Framemaker "freezes", then becomes completely unresponsive. Windows eventually tells me to close the program.

When I look in my XML folder, I see that the files in my book have been saved as XML (individually), but the book source file is saved as:

bookname.xml.E38

bookname.xml.895

bookname.xml.3BB

bookname.xml.0D1

It saved the book file like this every time I tried saving it as XML.

This is the first time I've encountered this issue, and I don't know what to do. I don't see any unresolved cross-references, no validation errors in the book.

Why would Framemaker not save this book as XML, but it saves all the other files?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Difficult to say, what is causing this. Unfortunately, FM 10 is so old, that I cannot try to reproduce this.

Do I get it right, that you are using structured FrameMaker files? If so, did you check if the individual files are valid? The first step I would try here is to open all Structured FM files of the book and check each of them with > Element > Validate > "Start Validating". If there are any structure violations, fix them and then try again.

In FrameMaker 2019 you can publish directly to Responsive HTML5. Maybe you would like to give it a try. You can download a fully working version with a free 30-day trial here:

Adobe FrameMaker (2019 release)-Free Trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your suggestion, Stefan!

I ran XRValidate, XValidate, and Validate. I reimported all graphics, made sure everything is alright and consistent throughout the chapter files, and everything looks fine. Framemaker still "freezes" when I try to save the book file. I don't know what's the matter.

And thank you for the Framemaker 2019 recommendation! I wish we had that one at work, we wouldn't waste so much time with these issues. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines