• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 12 not printing .cgm graphics completely

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to print a document to pdf in FrameMaker 12, some .cgm files print great, others are missing vector lines. What is going on? I cannot figure this out.

I receive no error and this  happens whether I do a Print Book to pdf, Print File to pdf, or Save Book as pdf, or Save File as pdf. This is very frustrating. I cannot post an image due to proprietary information but imagine a car that has callouts to it. The line indicators are all printing out that point to something...but the outline of the car itself is not printing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can remember that once there were problems with hairlines in PDF. In acrobat (probably not in Reader) you can set Preferences > Page Display: Enhance thin lines.

Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I have also activated this option (Preferences > Page Display: Enhance thin lines), and it works well.

However, this is an option which the reader must set.

The author cannot cannot control this option.

If only the display would be the issue, then all graphics formats would be affected.

Do the lines seem to be thicker when you zoom in?

Can you make those lines thicker?

What happened that you notice this issue now?

Did you installed a new PDF viewer?

Did you create (and view) your PDFs before without any problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any publishing workflow with detailed line art (whether vector or raster, really), needs to assess their various final end-user presentation formats, and decide on what is a minimum acceptable stroke weight). Nowadays, this is complicated by mobile, down to phones with tiny economy ~100dpi screens. 

I did this sizing exercise, in a prior assignment, over a decade ago. Back when it was my challenge, we only need to account for our 600dpi print process, and perhaps on-line access via laptop computer.

Most of the line art was coming in from CAD, and the default strokes could be all over the place. I don't recall what the final optimized number was, but because we imported into FM as EPS, we could use Illustrator to [re]set the stroke weights (as well as perform any other cleanup needed). This bias was to preserve vector as vector, which would also allow users to zoom in the their PDF reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines