Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2015 crashing on one file

Explorer ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all.

I'm using FrameMaker 2015 in a Windows 10 environment.

Since yesterday, FM has been crashing repeatedly and consistently when it reaches Appendix A in a book file that I am publishing to HTML Help (.chm). I have successfully published this 275-page file, and the entire 570-page book file, to .chm many times over many months.

The problem does not appear to be the Appendix A file. My coworker just published it to HTML Help successfully. Therefore, the problem must be with some aspect of my FM installation or setup. Why would it suddenly choke on a file that it has processed, with no problem, for months?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

There were rumours over on the Framers mailing list that some KB additions snuck in to 1709 & messed it up too. Do you get a hard error message or some warning message? Have you tried the route suggested by post#30 in this thread - Re: Frame 2017 cannot print to PDF or PS or Printer as of April 6, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if it was the same FM files that failed on your machine & worked on theirs, you need to look at differences between the 2 machines - since it's a hot button issue right now, what about Win10 versions? You 1803 and them 1709?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworker has a  Windows 7 system ...

Did something happen to Windows 10 between, say, a week ago and today? FrameMaker was publishing to .chm correctly a week ago. Then I didn't try to publish to .chm again until yesterday, when FM started crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, an update to Win10 (the 1803 build) has messed up PDF creation from FM (and other wider issues with other non-Adobe products too). You may be running into this 1803 issue too if you got it recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I've tried to generate a PDF using completely different files, and FM has crashed. These files are simple and worked perfectly the last time I used them. Nothing has changed in them since then.

I've run winver; I have build 1709.

If there are no other suggestions, I'm guessing I need to ask our IT guys to reinstall FrameMaker. Maybe my installation got corrupted.

Thanks for all suggestions. I appreciate the effort people put into these forums!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were rumours over on the Framers mailing list that some KB additions snuck in to 1709 & messed it up too. Do you get a hard error message or some warning message? Have you tried the route suggested by post#30 in this thread - Re: Frame 2017 cannot print to PDF or PS or Printer as of April 6, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer set me in the right direction! I have build 1709; there was a security update on May 11; I deleted it and now the .chm has built correctly! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't happen to recall what number it was do you? That info could help others over on the Framers list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was listed as a Security update and we installed in on May 11. I’m so sorry I didn’t record the number. Hmmm, I’ll ask our IT guys; surely other Win 10 users at my company have the same update. I’ll see if I can find it. Might not be until Tuesday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines