• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2019 says I need to purchase Acrobat DC to print PDF

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 2019 will no longer generate PDF versions of my books. It tells me Your Acrobat trial license has expired. Buy now to restore full access to Acrobat. Click okay to buy. When I click cancel, the message just reappears.

A version of Acrobat DC was loaded on to the system two months ago with a trial license. We found Apple's Preview a better choice for our needs so we never purchase a full Acrobat DC license. It appears if you don't purchase the Acrobat license, FrameMaker stops working. Anybody else encounter this?

TOPICS
Installation and licensing , PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

FM by itself includes a "headless" version of Acrobat that it uses for Print to PDF and Save As PDF actions (the Publish to PDF uses a completely different new engine), so you shouldn't have had to load a trial version of the full Acrobat in the first place. I would uninstall all Acrobat versions, test FM again & if it still thinks it needs the trial Acrobat, to reinstall FM and see how it behaves. If after all that, it still doesn't work, contact the FM folks at tcssup@adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM by itself includes a "headless" version of Acrobat that it uses for Print to PDF and Save As PDF actions (the Publish to PDF uses a completely different new engine), so you shouldn't have had to load a trial version of the full Acrobat in the first place. I would uninstall all Acrobat versions, test FM again & if it still thinks it needs the trial Acrobat, to reinstall FM and see how it behaves. If after all that, it still doesn't work, contact the FM folks at tcssup@adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker originally did gernerate PDF documents and continued to even after I oringally installed the trial version of Acrobat DC. It is only after the Acrobat DC trial period experied that FM ceased generation PDF files. For some reason Adobe tied its FM distiller to the Acrobat license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It could be due to the fact that Acrobat installs its PDF printer and then  FM Publish PDF with the same Printer.

After your Acrobat ends, It takes back the PDF printer too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So uninstall all traces of the Acrobat distiller and reader and see if FM works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix this problem both Acrobat and FrameMaker had to be unstalled and then FrameMaker has to be reinstalled. It appears that Adobe's licensing software was responsilbe for this maylay. Uggg!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: It appears that Adobe's licensing software was responsilbe for this maylay.

It's kind of unavoidable. FM has to work with the deminimus PDF path, or the full Acrobat product if installed, both of those share components. Someone deliberately using the full product would want to know when it expired. Automatically attempting to revert to the prior configuration could cause major IT headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines