• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2019 SVG Image Import Buggy

Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SVG image is created by combing a screenshot (SnagIt) with text callouts in a Visio file, then exporting to SVG.

This worked fine in FrameMaker 2017.

Now when I import the SVG, almost all the text and lines I added are moved to the right of where they are in the Visio file. The only exception to this is a small piece of text that is not directly on the screenshot. Instead of being on the far right, where I placed it, it is now on the extreme LEFT.

I have created two screenshots using a screen capture of Adobe's Creative Cloud desktop app that is doing the same thing. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

BAD:

result of importing SVG into FrameMaker 2019.jpg

Original:

screenshot of original diagram in visio.jpg

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone interested, I have been in contact with Adobe development regarding this issue. I am told that the problem is a bug in the SVG libraries and it affects multiple Adobe products, including Illustrator. The SVG imaging team at Adobe is working on a fix.

Visio is the only program I use to create SVG images, so I am unaware if the issue occurs with SVGs created through other programs. It would be interesting to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, I can send you a couple of simple .svg graphics (including text) created at a safe distance from Vision; send me a message. En passant, I've often had problems when using ex-Visio .svg in other programs because of all the Visio-specific tagging in the files. Illustrator .svg usually behave, after I clean up the font tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2019 Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my customers is asking for specific PDF crop marks so I'm currently using the trial version of FM2019, which seems to satisfy the customer requirements. All the FM2017 files I've tested so far have imported with very few problems, however I have several hundred electrical diagrams and waveforms that were produced in Visio and exported as SVGs and most of them get screwed up when imported to FM2019 -- either directly or by updating the existing FM2017 book files.

These illustrations looked very good in FM2017 so I can only conclude that the problem is a result of the changes made to the latest FrameMaker handling.

If this is not rectified it will be a deal changer regarding my decision to upgrade. What's worse, my customer is waiting urgently for these files. Feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place ATM.

Meanwhile, does anyone know of an application that can make a batch conversion of SVG files to something more acceptable to FM2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Meanwhile, does anyone know of an application that can make a batch conversion of SVG files to something more acceptable to FM2019?

Adobe Illustrator could probably batch convert them to EPS or PDF. Other apps might be able to do likewise.

If the workflow is to XML, though, it seems a shame to have to resort to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would also try to open them in Illustrator first and check how it looks there. Maybe another "save as SVG" is already enough to clean up the SVG coming from Visio. I have seen some strange effects myself with Visio SVGs and usually always had to clean them up in Illustrator first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with missing text and also other elements is, when "transmform" is used in SVGs with a high precision.

That means:

lower precision: transform="matrix(0,-1,1,0,-3100,5840)"

high precision: transform="matrix(-6.67905E-10 -1.00158 1.00002 -6.67905E-10 -779.523 5835.47)"

FM can't deal with high precision(E-10);

So if you change the exportparameters to lower it might work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Klaus,

Thank you very much for finding this out!

I checked my problem SVG from Corel Designer, and when I replace all those almost 0 values with 0 using regular expresssions, then I can import this SVG into FrameMaker! Very good.

Now I would need an option in Corel Designer so that I can reduce the precision. All options change only the precision of the x/y values of the object positions.

So I should export everything and then run a script to replace all these values automatically.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines