• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2019 template changes

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have several documents (Framemaker books with several chapters and attachments) that use existing templates with specific paragraph tags, character tags, master pages, cross-refencing, table formats, etc. Our company is considering changing all these items using new templates.  How difficult is this and how in the world would we go about doing so? I'm thinking this will be too time consuming to warrant the change.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an inexpensive script that allows you to map all kinds of FrameMaker formats from one name to another. In fact, I am using it on a big book now. It is called FindChangeFormatsBatch and you can see it at my web store. frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a Carmen product?  Thanks for the recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's me. Carmen Publishing Inc. aka frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the site license work?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is good for unlimited FrameMaker users at your site and includes the source code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Catmgirl:

several documents (Framemaker books with several chapters and attachments) that use existing templates with specific paragraph tags, character tags, master pages, cross-refencing, table formats, etc

It is worth noting that if you use the same names for all of these elements (paragraph tags, character tags, master pages, cross-referencing, table formats, etc) and just update the definitions in a new document for a new look, all you will need to is use File > Import > Formats to share the updated look with your other documents. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb!  I think the folks that want the new template want to use their names because they have so called shortcuts in their names (even though our names are self explanatory).  If we are able to go with your method and I import the new tags, etc. with the same names, will they just overwrite the names in the existing document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as the tags in your current templates and files use the exact same names as the ones being imported, then yes, the formatting information will update; however, from what you wrote it sounds like what you want to do is not only import the updated formatting information, you want to rename the tags you already use to match the ones used by the new group. Tag names can't be updated by importing from another file. All that will happen is you will have both your tag names and the new group's tag names in the same catalog, and your text will still have formatting applied using the old tag names.

Updating your tag names to the ones used by the new group will require going into each and every file and manually updating the names for each and every tag. This is doable but time consuming, especially if you have a lot of files to update. You also run the risk of typoing a name when typing in the replacement, or simply forgetting which new tag name maps to which old tag name. 

If you're talking about a lot of files, then Rick's script is probably the way to go. I've used it frequently as the templates at my current employer have gone through mutiple iterations of naming conventions and it's a real time saver. Once you use his script to rename tags in your documents (and it will also rename master pages and reference pages and variables and XREF formats and condition tags), you can import the formatting information from the new templates to the current files to get your files and the new group's files synced up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb!  You are a big help! I have taken classes with you in the past and you are an awesome instructor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this Catten? I didn't recognize you! 😂

I hope you are doing well, and let us know how the transition to the new template goes!

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Catmgirl:

If they are changing the names, then you definitely want to purchase Rick's script so that you can map the current style names to the new style names.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's worth noting that even if you want to retain the same names, Rick's FindChangeFormatsBatch also allows you to remove unwanted items from your catalogs.

I use it in absolutely every template I work on, even if they're using the same names. It is just about the best money you can spend to improve your FrameMaker workflow, and it will absolutely save you hours, if not days on your projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines