• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2020 -- Bug 9622 now 1 year old and not fixed - Product default conditional tags

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On 1/29/2021 I entered a bug about 2 default conditional tags (which cannot be removed) in FrameMaker 2020:

FM_PDF_Comments_Highlight

FM_PDF_Comments_Underline

Where I work we heavily use conditional tags and having 2 that cannot be removed is not acceptable (which is why we have remained on FM 2019). I have posted about this roughly 5 to 6 months ago where I was told it would be in the next release, but my bug is still listed with a status of Open.

The bug has 18 votes from other users who also want this fixed. How many people have to vote for this before this gets fixed?
If others would like to vote for this, go to Adobe's tracker at:
https://tracker.adobe.com/

and look for bug 9622

thank you for those who have voted

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

They can hide the conditions for tracking changes unless you have track changes on. They should be able to hide these, too.

In fact, they used to. The import comments from PDF has been a part of FM for several releases now, but those conditions being visible at all times didn't show up until FM2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

I would consider this a bug. The following conditions are for FrameMaker internal use only and shouldn't be available to the user. They are not displayed in the Condition Tags panel.

FM8_SYSTEM_HIDEELEMENT
FM8_TRACK_CHANGES_ADDED
FM8_TRACK_CHANGES_DELETED

I don't know anything about the PDF comment feature. Are there any cases where you would manually apply the conditions below to FrameMaker content? If not, they should be hidden as well.

He

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added my vote, but why is the Tracker site so slow??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for voting.  No idea why the site is slow. That would be an Adobe question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. But it is always slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO because there are to many entries in the bug base...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because there are too many  bugs in the products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to vote for this (because it is a problem) but not finding it. Can one of you share the link?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

Go to 
https://tracker.adobe.com/

and then search for bug 9622. It should come right up.

Thank you for voting for my bug.

Cheryl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link I have Barb - https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9622

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I needed, Jeff. Thank you. No idea why my search didn't work. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it looks like these are used for the PDF review feature in FM, which would make it impossible to remove them from the product, as that would remove the option to import PDF review comments.

If you are not using PDF reviews, the tags might be there but no content will be marked with it, which IMHO should not cause any problem at all.

I will not vote for this as I believe this is not a bug at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be right Jang, it may not be a real bug, but at least it is a very annoying feature. IMHO things which are not required by the user should be hidden. Especially when cleaning out older documents things like these raise a number of questions - whether they can be deleted or not.

With the varibles we have the concept of System Variables (can not be deleted) and User Variables which can be deleted. So it should be possible to flag these alements as 'system use' and hide them in the list display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't need to be removed from the product; they just need to be hidden in the interface because they are for use by the PDF review feature and not intended to be manually applied by the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it might be better to fill out a feature request, not a bug report. It is not a bug and when it is filed in the wrong category it may end up being ignored completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.  I just checked and PDF Review is in FM 2019 that I use. However those conditional tags do NOT display in FM 2019, therefore they were hidden in that version. They are not hidden in FM 2020. Therefore I consider that a bug.    I do both documentation and program testing here. And where I work that is definitely considered a bug.

Sorry. I don't know what Adobe considers that.  Feature requests are normal new items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would consider this a bug. The following conditions are for FrameMaker internal use only and shouldn't be available to the user. They are not displayed in the Condition Tags panel.

FM8_SYSTEM_HIDEELEMENT
FM8_TRACK_CHANGES_ADDED
FM8_TRACK_CHANGES_DELETED

I don't know anything about the PDF comment feature. Are there any cases where you would manually apply the conditions below to FrameMaker content? If not, they should be hidden as well.

Here is the ExtendScript code I ran to write all of the condition formats in an active document to the Console panel:

#target framemaker

var doc, condfmt;

doc = app.ActiveDoc;
condFmt = doc.FirstCondFmtInDoc;
while (condFmt.ObjectValid () === 1) {
    Console (condFmt.Name);
    condFmt = condFmt.NextCondFmtInDoc;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can hide the conditions for tracking changes unless you have track changes on. They should be able to hide these, too.

In fact, they used to. The import comments from PDF has been a part of FM for several releases now, but those conditions being visible at all times didn't show up until FM2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

We were not able to prioritize this user experience issue - sincere apologies for the same.

We will address it in our next release (FM 2022).

Thanks

Sameek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines