Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2020 can't find PDF printer instance

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using FrameMaker 2020 with Acrobat DC.

Trying to generate a PDF file from a book.

Getting the following mesage:  "FrameMaker could not find Adobe PDF printer instance, Which must be installed to execute Save as PDF command."

Acrobat DC and Distiller are installed.

Unable to install driver manually.

Any suggestions?

Tanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Issue solved:

Issue:

JorgeSaafigueroa_0-1637167418723.png

Verify you have the PDF Printer loaded:

JorgeSaafigueroa_1-1637167418730.png

If not Loaded:

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/acrobat/kb/unable-to-install-pdf-printer-certificate-revoked-port-unknown/jcr_content/main-pars/procedure_710305163/proc_par/step_0/step_par/download_section/download-1/AdobePDF.zip

Download the driver zip file, extract and load the printer using the Adobepdf.inf file in the archive.

Once the printer is loaded, try FM again.  If the problem persists, Try the following:

Remove Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jorge,

Is Adobe PDF in your list of printers?

When you search this Adobe FrameMaker for the keywords "PDF printer", then you will find a number of threads which deal with exactly your issue.

Can you check, if one of these solves your issue?

For example:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker-discussions/framemaker-could-not-find-adobe-pdf-printer/m-...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker-discussions/frame-2017-cannot-print-to-pdf-or-ps-or-printe...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker-discussions/how-to-reinstall-pdf-printer/m-p/10676574

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue solved:

Issue:

JorgeSaafigueroa_0-1637167418723.png

Verify you have the PDF Printer loaded:

JorgeSaafigueroa_1-1637167418730.png

If not Loaded:

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/acrobat/kb/unable-to-install-pdf-printer-certificate-rev...

Download the driver zip file, extract and load the printer using the Adobepdf.inf file in the archive.

Once the printer is loaded, try FM again.  If the problem persists, Try the following:

Remove Adobe Acrobat DC:

Try FM again.  If the problem persists, reload distiller.

How to reload distiller:

(If you have Adobe Acrobat installed, remove it first.)

Follow the steps in this link: Missing Distiller error on saving a document as PDF in FrameMaker (adobe.com)

NOTE:  In step 8 you might have to point to Program Files instead of Program Files (X86) if FrameMaker is loaded under Program Files.

Try FM again.

Reboot may be necessary.

Conclusion: 

Missing Driver and Acrobat DC were causing these issues.

I installed Acrobat DC afterwards and it broke the save as PDF utility. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more note.

Uninstalling FrameMaker, Installating Acrobat and Reinstallating FrameMaker solved the final conflict between FM and Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's always been the order - get Acrobat in first, then load FM and either explicitly tell it not to load its "headless" version of Acrobat or hope that it detects that Acrobat is already present & skip that internally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to double check, is it ok to have adove reader DC or I need to install the adobe acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, I mean *Adobe reader DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anny,

FrameMaker 2020 creates PDF files via the Publish command in the File menu. FM 2020 has its own PDF engine, so a headless Acrobat Distiller is not needed and not installed any more.

When you want to open a PDF file, you need a PDF viewer. It does not matter which one. FrameMaker does not need Acrobat Pro/Standard/Reader.

Only when you want to _print_ to a PDF printer, you will need the Adobe PDF printer. As far as I know, it is installed only with Acrobat Standard or Pro, not with Acrobat Reader.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Thanks for the feedback. My problem is that I cannot save as/publish to pdf files (the system showed the same warning message as above), but I can use the print function with the "microsoft print to pdf" printer. I tried it again on my colleague's comupter who has the acrobat installed, and it works. That is why I guess it has something to do with the Adobe reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anny_C are you using FM2020? If so, the new Publish and Save As PDF engine does not require an Adobe PDF printer instance to be present. However, the Print to Adobe PDF route DOES require that Adobe PDF printer instance. Reader has nothing to do with any of the processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

yes I am using the FM2020 version, but I still receive the message that the pdf printer cannot be found when I use either the "publish" or "save as" function. 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'd better talk to the FM folks - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#framemaker for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll run into issues if you have both Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader installed, as the programs conflict with each other. If you have both installed and you need to create PDF files, uninstall both programs, then reinstall Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines