• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2020 Crashes When a Character Tag is Applied

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a custom Type 1 font and used this font to create a Character Tag in FrameMaker 2020. I used this Character Tag in several chapters of a book I am finnishing to write. Everything works flawlessly. The custom font appears in the FM document and in the PDF document. Hard to understand is why FM crashes when I apply this Character Tag to a character with DefaultParaFont Tag, for example. FM crashes when the Character Tag is applied to any character!

The book is full of this Character Tag, but if I apply a new one FM crashes!

I am sad because I would like to publish the book in the next month.

Any help will be appreciated!

Iracildo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashes how? Throws a hard error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashes without no error message! Silently!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest contacting the FM folks - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#framemaker for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent an e-mail to tcssup@adobe.com.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the character style using the custom font you've created, and have been unable to process to PDF?

If so, I imagine the problem is with your font. Can you change the font in the character style to a commercial font and successfully apply the style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,

This time, the problem is not my custom T1 font. I tested the Character Tag with FrameMaker 2022 and it does not crash.

The characters of the font do not appear on the PDF document but FrameMaker 2022 does not crash like FrameMaker 2020 does!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had to guess, it still sounds like the custom font is at the heart of the matter. What app did you use to create the font? Perhaps their tech support could provide a more direct resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font was made with Fontographer 4.1 in the old days of Macromedia.

Nowadays, Fontographer is a property of FontLab and its license is very expensive!

I said this font did not appear on the PDF document, but I was wrong! I only cause FrameMaker 2020 to crash--and this is not a trivial thing--but it really appears on the FrameMaker document and on the PDF document.

I am thinking what to to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And time is also very expensive!

Have you investigated the font mentioned by Bob in the other thread?

Acquiring an existing (working) font for these characters would absolutely be the least expensive solution to your issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember that Bob referred to a font used in the HP 17BII manual, but I do not know where to find such a font! Also, it is not possible to copy the characters from the PDF file (c00363348.pdf).

I think the best option is to draw the keys and copy & paste them. A tedius task, but I have to do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For $40, you can get an individual keyboard font here:

https://www.myfonts.com/collections/keys-d-font-urw

There are 10 available varieties, so for only $10 more, you can get all 10 varieties.

Hope that helps.

There are 19 other typefaces here:

https://www.myfonts.com/collections/tags/Computer+Keyboard-fonts

Hope that helps.

ETA: not affiliated with any of the type foundaries, and this is not a font I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, LinSims!

I need a font with the keycaps of the HP 17BII+ financial calculator. You can se these fonts in the manual of the calculator (c00363348.pdf).

The fonts you recommend are not appropriate for my need.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try to open that manual (c00363348.pdf) in Illustrator and extract the required keys as svg or similar. If the PDF is protected, try at least an "unprotector" which can remove the standard Adobe measures (not using a password). IMHO the source is that old that you are at least partially on the legal side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kaube!

Thanks for trying to help!

Can you try to extract the keys from file c00363348.pdf? I will try to do that too. But I am not an Illustrator user and I will use a trial verson of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Klaus!

Thanks for sending me the files!
I renamed your FM file to Test_2019.fm and Test_2020 and created PDF files from them. The character from HP-17BII does not appear in the PDF documents. The PDF files are attached to this email.
So, there is a problem with my system that I do not know what is! Do you have any idea about what this issue could be?
Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, all!

The PDF file sent to me by Klaus Daube was the one attached to this message. The files attached in the previous message shoud have the same content as the file attached to this message since all of them was converted from the same FrameMaker file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand what you're saying, it is not so much that you need a generic keyboard font, you want one that has the actual keys on this calculator. So in addtion to the standard numbers, you need one that has the INPUT key and the CLR key and so on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, you might have better luck in the Adobe Fonts forum. This is not really a FrameMaker-specific question.

Honestly, I very much doubt that such a font exists, but I am also not a font expert. People who do creative designs are much more likely to know. Would you like me to move the thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LinSims,

Such a font does not exist. But it can be created extracting the keycaps from the HP 17BII+ manual (c00363348.pdf file), character by character. This is what I am doing.

You can close the tread.

Thanks for your support!

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines