Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2020 importing word document and outport XML

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am fairly new at framemaker and had a quick question. 
is there a way when importing a word document to save it as an XML file but being able to output with specific XML tags. 
for example. When I have a Title somewhere can it reflect on the xml output as <Title> </Title> 

And when I use a Heading can it output where there is headings used as <Heading></Heading> 

ETC...

thank you in advance. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import from Word to FrameMaker, the initial FrameMaker document is unstructured (no XML). But you can use a "Conversion Table" to add structure to a FrameMaker document, based on formats (styles). Then you can output to XML. There is a Save As XML feature for unstructured FrameMaker documents with some limited control on how tags are output. This is kind of a simplified answer; if you want more details, feel free to contact me off list. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up on Rick's comment, it is certainly possible. But it involves multiple complex steps and a workflow like that can take a long time to develop. Furthermore, you are dependent upon the integrity of the original Word content, which is unknown to us how reliable that might be. If you want something quick, you will be disappointed. But if this is a long-term, heavy use requirement, FrameMaker could be a very good friend.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming this is a .docx Word document, you can convert it to XML very easily by changing the extension to .zip, then opening the ZIP file and opening the word directory. It's not a single XML file and it has no style information, but the content is there, the structure is there, and the style names are there. I think styles are defined in a stylesheet? 

At any rate, it's an option if all you want is to get the XML of the content and structure. It isn't necessary to pass it through FrameMaker first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a difference between creating valid XML, and creating valid XML that conforms to a content model...what do you need the XML for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines