• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 8 installs but does not launch

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double-click the executable, FrameMaker 8 doesn't open. The exe shows in Task Manager as a Background Process. No errors during the install. This works on a separate laptop running Windows 10, but not my new one that is running Windows 10. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

restart your problematic computer and retry opening.

if that fails, fm8 (from 2007) probably not compatible with your newer computer with newer os.  you could try reinstalling using compatibility (with an older ~2007-2008 os) mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you got lucky with the other laptop. FrameMaker 8 was designed to run on Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows XP. Try the Windows compatibility mode as per @kglad or try to track down a computer with one of the older operating systems installed. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. @Barb Binder Yes, I agree with you on the lucky part. I tried different Windows compatibility modes but nothing worked. As the use of FrameMaker 8 is temporary, at least I have the loaner laptop for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could also look into installing a virtual machine (VM) on Win10, and then installing an older Windows on that to host FM8 (assuming you have full-install media/license/CDcode for the older Windows). Be sure to disallow network access to the older Windows instance.

I was running FM7 under WindowsXP in the XP Mode VM on Windows 7, up until Mr.Bill pulled the plug on Win7. XP Mode was also not carried forward by MS into Win10, but similar VMs exist that can host arbitrary other operating systems. There's probably some limit to how old you can go with software, due to x86-64 not supporting some early instruction sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines