• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker autogen IOM questions

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I generate an IOM list of Acronyms with classification markings in front of them? See below example:

When generated it looks like this because it’s generated alphabetically reading the classification markings.
                  (C) TTW    Time to Work
                  (S)  DC     Darn Challenges
                  (U) ABC   A Boy Cried

However, I want the classification markings ignored and only the acronym alphabetized as shown below?

(U) ABC   A Boy Cried
                  (S)  DC     Darn Challenges
                  (C) TTW    Time to Work

I tried to add all the classification markers to the “IgnoreCharsIX” field in the reference page but was successful. It appears that only hyphens, underscore, en dashes, and em dashes can be ignore.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

You can change the way index entries sort by putting a sort value in square brackets at the end of the marker text:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could cheat 🙂 Add a numerical value to the marker. Like here, I have added "3" to make it the last in a series of 1,2,3. Then I have have added a character style making it bold and a tab stop. If you make the character style white when you generated the entire iom, nobody can see how you fixed the sorting.

<Bold>3\tC <Default ¶ Font>TTW Time to Work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the your response, I really appreciate the support. I’m really at a loss.

I’m all for cheating if it works. However, I’m having difficulties comprehending the output. How does that look after the IOM is generated? I also need parenthesis around the classification and I’m wondering if that will be an issue as well.

So if insert marker (in text) is as indicated below:

<Bold>3\t(C)<Default ¶ Font>TTW\tTime to Work
           <Bold>3\t(S)<Default ¶ Font> DC\tDarn Challenges

When generated it will look like this and in chronolgical order?

(S) DC        Darn Challenges

(C) TTW    Time to Work

Thanks, Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I should have been clerarer. Here's what I do, and I hope I have understood you correctly:

Here are three marker inserts. I have merely used the Author marker

<Bold>3 <Default ¶ Font>\t (C) <Default ¶ Font>TTW Time to Work
<Bold>2<Default ¶ Font>\t(S) <Default ¶ Font>DC Darn Challenges
<Bold>1 <Default ¶ Font>\t(U) ABC A Boy Cried

<Bold>1 <Default ¶ Font>\t inserts a character style in the marker followed by tab setting. The numbers forces FrameMaker to choose numeric sorting. making the output look like this:

StudioSm_0-1673732709799.png

Since I have used a character style for the numbers, I can apply a white color to the style and have the numbers "disappear".

While this works, I don't know how many markers you have. I there's a LOT it this method quickly becomes cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ve been such a tremendous help. I continue to test with no resolve.

My apologies I’m not sure I’m explaining the problem correctly.

I have acronyms that are classified (S) and (S//NF). When I index them they list all the (S) acronyms alphabetically and all the (S//NF) acronyms alphabetically. I need the list integrated (all together). I need the list generated ignoring the (S) or (S//NF) at the beginning and alphabetizing the acronym following the classification.

This is what I’m looking for:

(S) ABC    Definition  

(S/NF) BC    Definition

(S//FN) CBD    Definition

(S) DE    Definition

Not like:

(S) ABC    Definition  

(S) DE    Definition

(S/NF) BC    Definition

(S//FN) CBD    Definition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opps typos. correction:

You’ve been such a tremendous help. I continue to test with no resolve.

My apologies I’m not sure I’m explaining the problem correctly.

I have acronyms that are classified (S) and (S//NF). When I index them they list all the (S) acronyms alphabetically and all the (S//NF) acronyms alphabetically. I need the list integrated (all together). I need the list generated ignoring the (S) or (S//NF) at the beginning and alphabetizing the acronym following the classification.

This is what I’m looking for:

(S) ABC    Definition  

(S/NF) BC    Definition

(S//NF) CBD    Definition

(S) DE    Definition

Not like:

(S) ABC    Definition  

(S) DE    Definition

(S/NF) BC    Definition

(S//NF) CBD    Definition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the way index entries sort by putting a sort value in square brackets at the end of the marker text:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neat! I never knew that option!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have used this most often with numeric indexes because FrameMaker always does an "ASCII sort" where 10 would sort before 9. Here is an example that I have scripted:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeaaah it worked perfectly!

christinef14616911_1-1673795762131.jpeg

FM is too sophisticated not to be able to perform different sort functions, I knew there had to be something—I just couldn’t get there.

Have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have tons of existing markers like this, adding the sort keys could be automated with an ExtendScript script. If you are interested, please contact me. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines