Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker cant write the file F:/ or C:/

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cant write to file.png

I am still getting this error in framemaker, the only fix is to close the file and reopen and re-save . so far it seems to only be this file but i will know soon when i begin saving other files. Anyone have any other ideas? it happens when saving to C:/ or F:/ Drive

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's had an auto-save setting for many versions - what version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using the newest version 2020 framemaker V.16.0.1

How can i set this up to frequently autosave, its funny you say that because when i had this issue originally i used the adobe help and they told me no such thing existed. i read the manual from framemaker from time to time. havent had alot of time to dive into it lately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit Â» Preferences Â» Global Â» General
☑ Auto Save Every [5] Minutes

[OK]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well this is interesting, i located the 3 files that arnt causing the issue. the error came up on 1 page i just added from a previous save. i deleted the images and everything on the page. then the saved function worked again. I am copying the images in to the document always. Thoughts? @Bob_Niland @Jeff_Coatsworth @LinSims @Winfried Reng 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 files that are causing the issue*****

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry, if you said this already. There are so many comments in this thread.

Can you save to another folder in C: or F:?

Or somewhere on your network?

What's the size of your FM file? When you import so many graphics files, the file size can be very large, and this might cause problems.

Although you said that you prefer import by copy, I would definitely switch to import by reference! That's much safer! And it reduces the file size of your FM file.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my framemaker files are 1.8gb to 2.5 gb. i cant import by reference i have had problems doing this with no many .png and jpg. i may switch to doing this eventually but prefer not to do this if at all possible. i have the auto save feature enabled now.

*i still wonder if copying and pasting the same image throughout the document is another element to cause issues . i can avoid this but it would be very time consuming not using the copy and paste feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I do not know the file size limit, but I think that 2 GB for a single file is a lot! I think this explains your problem to save the file. Possibly someone from Adobe can comment this? @pulkitn 

When you switch to referenced images and you move the FrameMaker file and open it, then you will get a message that graphics are missing. You can select the correct folder and FrameMaker will use this folder for all missing graphics. This works well, when all graphics are in the same folder. Only when they are in different folders, you will get more messages.

It could be that Rick Quatro has a script which can help. @frameexpert 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I do not know the file size limit, but I think that 2 GB for a single file is a lot!

It used to be, and exceeding that on a 32-bit OS, and/or using 32-bit FM, would cause unusual errors. I had to keep an eye out for it on FM7 on Solaris 32, but the more usual scenario was that the .ps or .tps output file sizes would hit the limit before the authoring files did.

The present situation is clearly 64-bit Windows. I'm not sure we've had the FM version reported, but it's unlikely to be 32-bit. And the SSD is new, so unlikely to be full or encountering spare block exhaustion (although volume format errors are possible, I suppose).

In any case, 2+GB files are going to be slow to read & write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @beau5CC8 

There shouldn't be any issues in saving large files to any Disk (C: or F:).
Please mail to us with a brief description of the issue and if possible, a sample file on which we can reproduce the issue  "fmerror-reports@adobe.com" .

Someone will get back to you on this.

-Pulkit
-FM & FMS Engg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am sending right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , 

Haven't heard from you over mail and hope the issue is solved at your end only.

-Pulkit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the file is rather large and i was having issues uploading it. it make some time to get you all the information but i will eventually try and send a good example. it could likely be a problem with a corrupt image file on my end. work has been really busy, i almost had everything sent in a cloud link to you and it was freezing trying to load the file. i was going to create a dropbox account and send you the files. the other problem is im working on so many thing simoutaniously i forgot which file. but when i get some time i will try to send your way for eval. Thanks for the follow up, sorry for the delay!

-Beau

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines