Framemaker changes the font of variables to Times New Roman

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Framemaker version: 2019

Settings: main font is Arial.

Issue: even if we don't use Times New Roman in our project, Frammaker changes the font of some variables to that font. It is a random behaviour apparently.

Question: Is it there a way to remove Times New Roman from all the files of my project, like in bulk?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you probably know, recent versions of FM have a View»Pods»Fonts that shows all the fonts in the current document, and a button [AA] to replace all instances.

I just did this, file-by-file, for the pesky Times New Roman, in a current project.

What I didn't try first, though, was cleaning up the master template file for the project, and seeing what a bulk import might do.

There may also exist other tools, some aftermarket.

The number of places that unwanted formats can lurk is impressive: Master Pages, Reference Pages, cells nowhere visible of Table formats (Catalog and not).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bob_Niland!

I will have a look at the Master pages first, and then see if I have to do it in all files and chapters. I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Bob says is true, but I wonder why FrameMaker is using a different font for the variables. This may be a bug. Can you send a screenshot of the Variable Definition for one of the variables that is displaying in Times New Roman? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be more layers to this onion.

With the master template file I just cleaned up, I happened to save/close/reopen it, and get a console message of:
The "Times" Font is not available.
"Times New Roman" will be used in this session.

And yet, TNR does NOT appear in the Fonts pod.

Save as MIF, open in Notepad.
Neither Times nor Times New Roman appear anywhere in the MIF.
Document has only 2 imports, a vectors-only SVG & a plain ASCII .txt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to take s screenshot. This have been happening randomly so I haven't identified a pattern yet.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found a case now. This is the screenshot. I have editid so that you all definitions all shown.

Variables_Definition.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In your screenshot you do not have any definition. Can you copy the definition here?

In the previous post you say that this happens "randomly". What do you mean with "randomly"? When you use the same file again, you get this message only sometimes? Or only for some files?

When you do not find anything with "Times" in the MIF file, then a graphics file might be the cause.

(Did you check the MIF files with MIFBrowse? http://www.grahamwideman.com/gw/tech/framemaker/mifbrowse.htm)

Although you have only two files, you might hide all graphics: View | Options

If the font hides in a definition of any format or variable or table or master or reference page, then "Times" should appear in the MIF file.

Best regards

Winfried

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

"Randomly" means that I have not identified a pattern or workflow that could explain Times New Roman appearing as font for some variables (not all) in a file where the font is Arial.

I didn't know about MIFBrowse. I will check it.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

What do I have to look for in the .mif files? I have never worked with that files before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I've made the text of removing Times New Roman font from every single chapter of one of my .fm files. Everything OK, but when I saved my changes, close the file and open it again, Times New Roman was there again.

I will try now doing that in the Master Pages.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: close the file and open it again, Times New Roman was there again.

This may take some work to puzzle out.

The Fonts pod apparently only changes fonts in use (content on Body, Master ot Ref pages), and not font declarations in formats not presently used. Nonetheless, editing a MIF with a plaintext editor should be able find them all (unless they are hidden in that huge <DocFileInfo hex block).

The default FM templates, including for Custom, default to Times New Roman. When creating new templates, this might make it hard to stomp out all instances of that legacy typeface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I have tried this to figure out where the TNR reference comes from.

empty.mif contains only the header line, but nothing else.
When opening empty.mif in FM-16 (or any older) I get an empty page, also an empty (no text frame) Left Master Page, and 6 Reference pages HTML/Headings with the conversion tables. And here you find use of these fonts: Minion Pro and Times New  Roman. Arial is used in the labels of the page Reference for the graphic frames used for paragraphs (e.g. the line for footnote).

Even after changing all fonts (e.g. Arial to Noto Sans, TNR to Noto Serif etc.) TNR is back after the next open of a document.

But I could get rid of it after saving that file to MIF. Checking for MIF did not provide any use of TNR. and opened the MIF: TNR was gone...

I only have managed to get rid of Minion Pro and TNR with the font change panel. Arial requires to be changed where it is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Klaus. I suspected it might be hard-coded into FM somewhere, and that being the apparent case, I'm impressed that there is a way to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines