Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker does not delete lck files correctly

Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are already a few reports that FrameMaker does not delete all lck files, when files are closed.

And also a few reports on Adobe Tracker.

Very annoying.

I work on a book and noticed that there were many of these lck files left, although all files were closed.

And now I think that this has something to do with search and replace.

FrameMaker has the habit to _not_ move on to the next file, after something was found.

Just make a test:

Create a book with e.g. 5 identical files, all with e.g.:

Then search for 123. FrameMaker will move on to the next file correctly.

Now replace with 1233. FrameMaker will not move on to the next file.

Sometimes it helps, when I save a file after such a change. Then FrameMaker closes this file and continues the search in the next file.

Here FrameMaker did not move on to the next file.

However, when I closed all files, there were now some lck files left.

Therefore I think that when you save a files during a search, FrameMaker does not delete the lck file later.

Can someone test this?

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Winfried

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Either the procedure is very nifty - or there is no problem with FM-15.0.8.979.

With this FM-version I not noticed this problem - even with the setting to Lock Files on the Network - but I'm not on a nework (and could swith this off).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

Thank you very much for checking.

I started to get this issue since 2020. Therefore I guess that this is an issue only in FM 2020.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created this feature suggestion a couple of years ago:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-10853

Make it possible to delete all lock files in the manner which Windows handles repeated actions. As of now you have to press "Reset Lock and Open" on every single file, or delete the lock files using Explorer.

resetlock.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion!!!! I added my vote, thanks for the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also voted for. Maybe another bug for the fact that using F&R seems to trigger the problem? That's a weird bug, in any case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got my vote too. Very tedius to do this manually for each file after a FM crash (especially if you had several documents open.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I recommend Zabkat's xplorer2? Multipane and multitab directory browsing and the ability to save filters. I have one specifically for deleting backup files.

(Not a salesperson, just a very satisfied customer.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lin, I use this Explorer² from ZabKat since Carol Eiken recommended it to me 2015. Yes, this is a great file explorer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I love being able to set up a group of tabs and saving them so I can just reopen all the directories for a single document at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried testing it running FrameMaker 2020 and I get the same result as you. The *.lck files do not get deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! Now this issue is reproducible. Hopefully it will get fixed with one of the next updates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That explains why it always seemed so random. I just turned off network locking because I got tired of cleaning it up. Also as the lone writer, it's not something I have to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines