Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker map file page breaks on each file

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It's really sad this is such a simple thing, yet FM is being difficult with this. I have a DITA based map file that links to multiple XMLs and sub-XMLs linked in a hierarchical way. Then a pdf is published, it *always* page breaks (i.e. start on new page) for every single file. I want all to be continuous. I have files with just a few lines, that it looks really bad to page break and next subsection starts on a new page...

Really? There is NO way to make the PDF publish continually? I do not want to keep a "merged" file as suggested in another post. The congregated xml will be way too big. Please help

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , PDF output , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new FrameMaker component always starts at the top of the document's main text flow, which can look odd with short topics. But why do you object to a composite document beging too big? Its only real purpose is to give you continuous output if you need it. Any further edits would be in your original topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So what is the "composite document" you are referring to? Basically I have 

1. Topic XML 

1.1 Subtopic XML

1.2 Subtopic2 XML

I need all 3 to flow together (1.1 and 1.2 must NOT start on a new page). What kind of intermediate file would you suggest for the map file to point to and print ti, in case I still want my actual data to be split into 3 xml files for easier editing/updating?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats composite document. please try with FM2019 (PDF settings ) File -> Publish -> Edit settings. In the last DITA options make sure the option for Book with components is not checked.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see "Book with components" option, using FM2019. Do you mean "Generate flat book hierarchy"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines