• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker to RoboHelp ebook Kindle format

Participant ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Framemaker book developer. I have a customer that wants to convert his book from Word to FrameMaker and export to Amazon Mobi format. My understanding it that Fthe rameMaker book can convert to RoboHelp and RoboHelp can covert the book to Kindle (Mobi) ebook.

I have no experience with RoboHelpso my question is whether there are explicit instructions to do the conversion from FrameMaker to RoboHelp ebook, OR what it might generally cost me to do the RoboHelp Kindle ebook coversion of the FrameMaker book. The book is about 250 pages and five chapters.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

You should be able to publish to ePub directly from FM (it's been supported since FM12 I believe) & then you can use the free Calibre program to convert to MOBI.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just read one of the other threads about Amazon not supporting ePub. Therefore, I guess I am stuck with publishing to PDF and then having Amazon publish to Mobi format. True?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to publish to ePub directly from FM (it's been supported since FM12 I believe) & then you can use the free Calibre program to convert to MOBI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. I wasn't aware that FrameMaker saved to ePub, because I never have used it. lol I did read a little something about Calibre, yesterday, but nothing more than it existed for Mobi conversions. Didn't know from what app outputs (ePub, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM doesn't really "save" to output formats (other than the old Save as PDF mechanism) - it's a publishing to outputs that's done now (even PDF has a new engine when created this way). The Publish "engine" is RoboHelp "under the hood" (that might be where your confusion came in about that) but it doesn't expose any of the controls that the more traditional FM to RH workflow has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are confusing me. That's all I should need is Kindle or ePub published document. I realise it does not save to those formats. Didn't need controls. Just creating in FM and publishing to Kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Mobile App? Mobi? Or is it something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moli is the old file format for Amazon ebooks. They use a proprietary conversion tool that used to be Mobi file format, but they are doing the eBook converions now with seveal different formats. Kindle, ePub, PDF, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moile App is one of the Publishing ouputs from FrameMaker. It's in the Publish tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker has this option in the Publish Panel where you are supposed to be able to publish to Kindle, but it relies on installing a script, which Amazon has abandoned. Amazon is no longer using the MOBI format since about half a year ago. While you can use the script and publish MOBI it is - in my experience at least - not a very satisfying experience. Error logs are a-plenty and meaningless.

Publishing to Epub works much better, I think. And then you can "tidy up"  in Calibre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @StudioSm - I was not aware that Kindle had dropped the .mobi format (I only deal with ePUB in my ebook reading life).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines