Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Global S&R on attribute values in multilevel book structure

Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Had to set up a multilevel book structure (two levels) in order to be able to add TOCs to each sub book (mini-TOCs won't work). Seems the book S&R does not work on sub books from top book, is that correct? In this case the target is S&R on attribute values, but I guess it is the same thing for other S&R operations if it does not work for attribute values.

Structured FM 2020, fully updated, and *.fm files (no structured application from the mil authority, so cannot go the xml route).

BR, Mats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mats,

I'm not sure about native S&R. But I can say that my FrameSLT plugin supports it. You will need to use XPath for the queries, but there are lots of examples in the User Guide for book operations:

http://www.weststreetconsulting.com/WSC_FrameSLT.htm

It is not free, but there is a 30 day trial. You could use it for this task and then just delete it.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ,

So this would traverse and S&R documents in sub books when running it from a top level book? My structure is book > book > documents and since there many level 2 books I need a solution that traverses and S&R the entire structure.

And I'd be happy to purchase FrameSLT if it solves this problem.

BR, Mats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mats,

Well, if you are talking about literally a book file within a book, then probably not. I'm actually surpised that you can do that and a little ashamed I was not aware of it after all this time. It seems an unusual thing to do. I don't fully understand the use case. FrameSLT supports folders and groups but not an actual sub book file. Sorry about that.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries - the reason I need books in a book is that I need the sub books to have their own TOCs, and folders and groups cannot have TOCs, AFAIK. The case in question is 1000+ page naval ships' manuals. Chapters at a certain level in the ship's breakdown structure need to start with a TOC, as the chapters are often quite long (50-100 pages).

Mats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. FrameSLT can build customizable TOCs too but I would not suggest any radical change to your methodology if it is working for you. You might be stuck with extra manual work or writing some script if there really is that much work involved. Sorry I could not be of more help. 

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I pressed Enter to post that, I thought of this possibility... could you just put all the files in some temporary book, do the S&R, then toss out that book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mats,

You could create a second book that has all the book components in the top-level book and its sub-books. Then you can search and replace in the second book, but update and do other operations in the original one.

Also, you can create an XML DTD from your EDD and use it to round-trip to XML if you wawnt to use XSLT or other XML tools; you don't need a provided DTD.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines