Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Headings in bookmarks contain unexpected blank space

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the snapshot below.

The space where the blankspace is inserted, is the point where the heading text wraps in the FM editor. How can I eliminate this space in the bookmarks?

Please help, thanks.

fm.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it certainly does. I played around with this for a while, ericy83354268, and don't have a good solution for you. When you think of "normal" headings, they have spaces in the between the words, and FrameMaker knows how to transfer them correctly to the bookmarks.

VMware Fusionss_002.png

VMware Fusionss_003.png

Your heads don't have spaces, and Fm seems determined to add one in the following situations:

• at the text wrap location
  • at a line break/soft return location
  • even when you change Text Options to Allow Line Breaks After to include a close brace character } (which I was sure was going to be the solution)VMware Fusionss_009.png

The only solution I see is to edit the bookmarks in Acrobat (not a good one!), and report this to Adobe here: Tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First: Which FM version are you using? I have blurry memories that this effect happened in some very, very old FM version (like FM 6 or so). I tried to reproduce this in FM 2017 and did not get any such additional blanks in bookmarks.

Also, you wrote:

The space where the blankspace is inserted, is the point where the heading text wraps in the FM editor.

This is strange. FrameMaker usually does not wrap in the middle of the word (like in "subfolder s"). Have you inserted manual breaks in FM like with Shift-Return? Shift Returns in headings are translated into spaces in PDF bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very curious to see if you can make some headway here, Stefan, but just as a heads up, I got the same results in 2017 with Acrobat Pro DC.

In these screen shots, the only difference is the type size. I didn't make any changes at all on any break settings—text options dialog box, line breaks, or spaces.

VMware Fusionss_010.pngVMware Fusionss_011.pngVMware Fusionss_012.pngVMware Fusionss_013.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I have tried it in the same way now and rebuild a doc like yours with a "...v1/folders/{folderID}messages{messageID}" heading with a line break just after "folders/" like in you example.

When I print to PS and analyze the code, this bookmark for this heading is produced like this:

[/Dest/G998522/Title<FEFF002E002E002E00760031002F0066006F006C0064006500720073002F0020007B0066006F006C00640065007200490044007D006D0065007300730061006700650073007B006D00650073007300610067006500490044007D>/OUT FmPD2

So, the line wrap is actually translated into a simple space (0020).

I'll check with the devs and will suggest fixing this in the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen this come up before, but glad to understand the "why" behind it, because we will probably see it again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's a quite rare scenario, that FM has to break within a word without hyphenation in a paragraph that is intended to become a bookmark in a PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to both.

First, to answer your questions, I didn't use SHIFT returns in headings, and I'm using FM 2015.

So, editing the heading links manually in the PDF bookmarks is the only work around now?

When you fix that in the next release, can I get that without buying a new license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We verified that you don't need to add spaces for this to happen. You have encountered an unusual set of circumstances—most bookmarks are headings and headings have spaces—yours do not. I'll let Stefan from Adobe confirm the second part of your question—I'm just a FrameMaker (and Acrobat) trainer—but I'd expect the patch when added, to be to 2017 and not to 2015.

And yes, the only way I know to fix this is to manually update the bookmarks in Acrobat. Or leave them out of the conversion, and add them in Acrobat, where they will be added correctly.

Not the answers you were hoping for, but at least we figured out what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, as Barb pointed out, reducing the point size of your headings to accommodate the length of the heading without a line break will also remedy your situation. It looks like you've got many headings, so this fix might also drop your page count significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines