• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help Files - Tagging/Bookmarking Sections for Help Files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited a document that was created in QuickSilver (which no one seems to have). I converted the resulting PDF to FrameMaker and then reformatted/styled everything. Now we are to the point when Help files are being requested.

Apparently, in QuickSilver, you can bookmark sections that automatically generate PDFs of, for example, just pages 2-14. The result was a suite of 200 or so Help files based on snippets of the whole.

Does Frame have a similar bookmarking/tagging options to automatically create Help files? Our other option is to just Print to PDF and specify the page range. Doable but not automated.

Thanks for the feedback!

Meredith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not quite clear to me what you are asking, but FrameMaker has 2 options that could help

1. Make a different book for the help and include in it only the files that you need in the help, then simply generate (and not only PDF, but all possible options)

2. Use conditional text to mark the sections that need to be included in this help file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Meredith:

I don't use QuickSilver (had to google it to see what it is), but I think CarolineTa's seconud answer is likely what you are looking for.

Condition tags allow you to define multiple versions of a file in a single document. Once the tags have been added and assigned, you quickly hide/show the content using a specific condition and then publish the resulting PDFs.

From your brief description, it sounds like you need two versions:

1. The complete document
  2. Just the help pages

If I am understanding that correctly, you can set up a condition tag for the content that is not part of the help files, hide it to publish the help pdfs, then show it again to publish the entire document.

For more details, see Adobe FrameMaker (2019 release)​.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines