• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with cover page

Participant ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could really use some tips on re-creating a cover page that was originally created in Word. A version of this page is used for seven different manuals for similar products, and I currently have a single book for all seven manuals (using conditional text).

Because some of the information (such as logos, variables, contact info, etc.) doesn't change across manuals, I'm thinking I can just put a lot of it into a "CoverPage" master page. The information that does change (including a couple of jpgs of the product) will go into the body page, with conditional tags.

Does this make sense so far? If I'm making this more difficult than it should be, please let me know! I have learned enough of FrameMaker by now to be at the "knows-enough-to-really-screw-things-up" level.

My main question at this point has to do with how I create the "header" text at the top of the cover page. There are logos, plus a line, and the text above that line has several different font sizes (so I can't apply a paragraph style to the whole line).

Should I just be using text frames here? Here is an approximation (from SnagIt, using the Word version) of what the text needs to look like:

CoverPageLayout.jpg

Thanks in advance for any insight/help this community can give me.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Ah, OK. Sorry, I somehow managed to miss that last line in your previous response. Thanks so much for your help (and your patience)! I've adjusted the mapping table and was able to apply my custom master page to the cover page.

Thanks again!

E

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually do this via custom Master Page (Cover.Front), which is invoked by ¶Title via Apply Master Pages.

The invariant material can be in a header (background) frame on that MP. The Date, Product Name, and document number (if any) can be user variables. The line can be a Frame Below or just a hand-drawn line.

I would suggest avoiding bitmap formats (esp. JPG) for logos, due to general quality and scaling artfacts. Obtain vector formats for those, such as SVG or EPS. If the client contact can't provide them, you can often obtain them by deconstructing a page of their annual report or product brochure in Illustrator or other PDF-aware vector editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the useful tips. Everything makes sense except that first sentence, and it may be that I'm still new to the FM lingo. What do you mean by "invoked by ¶Title via Apply Master Pages"?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ennar: What do you mean by "invoked by ¶Title via Apply Master Pages"?

Paragraph format (¶) named Title is a default in most FM templates.
I actually am using Title.Cover for a current project.

Title.Cover appears in the UnstructMasterPageMaps table
on the Reference page named MasterPageMaps, for which the
Right-Handed Master Page (or Single-Sided Master Page) column
specifies Master Page name Cover.Front

When an AMP (Format » Page Layout » Apply Master Page) is run,
MP Cover.Front gets applied to any page containing ¶Cover.Title.

Yes, this is all a bit of a kludge, for historical and loop-avoidance reasons,
and the mapping table, and its Reference page usually don't even exist by default
until after the first time an AMP is run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for MasterPageMaps, but I don't have it. Is this something that should automatically be there?

I'm sorry for the dumb questions, but I am really lost. I can't find an UnstructMasterPageMaps table anywhere. In my references pages I have the first reference page (with the footnote and line graphcs), some HTML reference pages, and a Headings reference page.

I am in the most recent version of FrameMaker, which we just purchased a month or so ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If, as usual, your template doesn't contain the MPM RefPage, and therefore no UMPM Table, run an AMP operation to create an empty one. Steps above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, OK. Sorry, I somehow managed to miss that last line in your previous response. Thanks so much for your help (and your patience)! I've adjusted the mapping table and was able to apply my custom master page to the cover page.

Thanks again!

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, use background text frames (those without tags) for common text that appears on the cover page of every book. You can change the font size of some text on one line by applying a character font to different selections. As Bob mentioned, you can use Frame Below in a paragraph in a background frame to separate different areas of the cover page or just draw a line. You could also use Frame Above. You can place logos and other graphics  directly on the master page or place them within a text frame.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! What do you mean by "those without tags" -- are you referring to paragraph tags?

Thanks again! You have been a big help, both here and in some of my other posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines