Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hidden popup when I start FrameMaker

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I start FrameMaker, I get this message:

"Can't find a compatible default printer. Try reconfiguring your printer setup in the control panel."

The problem is, this message is consistently placed behind the splash screen. This means FrameMaker stops loading with no visible indication of the reason. This seems to be a bug.

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes. This is not correct.

Which FrameMaker version do you have?

Do you have the latest update? (Help | Updates)

When you have the latest update and you still get this message: What's you default printer? What happens, when you change it?

You can always create bug reports in the Adobe Tracker:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have FM 2020 (16.0), an update to 16.0.1 is available.

The message appeared because I didn't have a default printer. I selected one and the message doesn't appear any more. I can't undo that selection, so I have no way to test if the update makes a difference.

Thanks for the tracker link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that you had to have just a default printer.

The update was a bonus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally you want to have the AdobePDF printer instance as your default printer inside FM, but that might not make make sense for all applications outside of FM that you're using at the same time. That's why there's the free SetPrint plugin for FM for you to have 2 different printer instances set at the same time - AdobePDF inside FM, your physical printer in Windows' Printer list for all other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

As far as I know SetPrint does not work with FrameMaker 2020 (and I think also 2019).

These create their own PDF. Therefore you do not need to set a printer, when you Save as PDF or use Publish.

Only when you want to print to a PostScript file, this would be handy. However, when I put the SetPrint folder into any of these folders, FrameMaker did not change the default printer:

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\plugins\

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Plugins\

c:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\16\startup\

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, just tried it - FM2020 had a hissy fit in the Console about not being able to initialize the SetPrint.dll - probably doesn't like to deal with a 32-bit dll I imagine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines