• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add the top level structure name?

Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am taking my first steps into working with structured documents. Right now I am working with the structured "Book" which comes with FrameMaker. I am uncertain however, as to how I add/change the top level "NoName" and make the entire book structure valid?

Can anybody point me in the right direction?...

2021-09-29_14-08-01.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Try wrapping the Book Component elements in their respective TOC and IX elements. They are unstructured documents and thus are handled differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose View > Panels (or Pods) > Element Catalog, select the NoName element in the structure and use the Element Catalog to change it to Book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. It seem I do not have that option though.

2021-09-29_15-32-16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bjorn, it looks like ChapterBook might be your "Valid at Highest Level" element.

To check, open your Chapter.fm file and select Structure > EDD > Export Element Catalog as EDD. Look for the element with a General Rule that looks something like FrontMatter, TOC, Chapter, Chapter+, IX?. I'm guessing it will be the ChapterBook element.

If so, select the NoName element, and use the Element Catalog to change to a ChapterBook element.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Matt! Yes - with a little nudging around - that made the structure valid. And took away my toc and index, which were not structured.

I suppose there is a way to rebuild the the toc and index correctly? I tried adding them again to the book in the traditional way,  but that will break the structure... 

2021-09-29_15-57-44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try wrapping the Book Component elements in their respective TOC and IX elements. They are unstructured documents and thus are handled differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep - that worked 🙂 Now the structure is valid and can format the toc/index properly. Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines