• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make a template selectable through Explore Standard templates?

Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two entries to new documents in FrameMaker 2020. The "Welcome Screen" and "Explore Standard Templates". I sometimes create templates and would like them to be easily accessible through the either the "Welcome Screen" or "Explore Standard Templates" or preferrably both. While I can figure out how to modify the HTML in the Welcome Screen it is quite bothersome to add links to, it and they are not dynamically updated. I am not able figure out how "Explore Standard Templates" work. It looks like its an exe file, but perhaps not? 

Question: Is there a way to make new directories with my own templates and have them dynamically added to the template selection process?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried just adding them to:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 20xx\Templates\{subdirname}\

I just tried it, and it requires Admin privs to copy the file(s) in, but they are visible under the New File From Template button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that will work. Thank you!

I guess I want something like the feature of Explore Standard Templates, which will allow you to open a sample AND open a template. The Welcome Screen merely allows me to explore a write protected directory.  And I realise now, that I actually can do more to help my users by sorting the "stuff" I give them in folders. 

Merry christmas to you! I always enjoy your good answers in this forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, you can add a TemplateDir=path line to your maker.ini (or adjust what's already there - I found mine in the c:\program files location) to point to your custom template location as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These Explore Templates files are actually view-only FrameMaker documents that have been saved as palettes using special MIF syntax. You can find them in this folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\maker

At one time, I made a custom page of templates for a client that was accessible through Standard Templates document. But I don't remember how I was able to unlock the palette so I could edit it. I will see if I can find the details somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - so it might actually not be too difficult to update it. That would be neat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick.an answer may be found on https://www.daube.ch/docu/files/compendium.pdf page 575.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines