• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I restart H2 sub numbering e.g. 1. & 1.1, 2 & 2.1? etc.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using FM 13.03 and I'm trying to get the 2nd level number in a Heading2 tag to reset to 1 so that I get:

1.  Heading 1

1.1  Heading 2

Text & pictures

2. Heading 1

2.1 Heading 2

Text & pictures

My current tags are:

Heading 1 = H:<n+ >

Heading 2 = H:<n>.<n+>

And they give me

1. Heading 1

1.1 Heading 2

Text & pictures

2. Heading 1

2.2 Heading 2

Text & pictures

Is there a way to restart the 2nd number in the Heading 2 to be 1 when it follows a Heading 1 tag, e.g. in the above example it would be 2.1?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

They should be:

Heading 1 = H:<n+>< =0>

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should be:

Heading 1 = H:<n+>< =0>

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

When I saw the original post, I thought the autonumber strings looked just fine. That's the way I've done it for the last 25 years without  any sort of problem. So I checked just to be sure and it does indeed work as expected using FM 13.05.547. I really can't see any reason for the results that paul_newb is seeing, because it's not wrong. That behaviour doesn't make sense when you consider the way that FM autonumber building blocks work. Very strange...

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian, without the < =0> reset code, what would cause the 2nd level autonumber to reset?

The only way I see to reset it without the building block is to use Heading1 as a chapter title, and use the numbering properties on the file/book to reset paragraph numbering at the start of each chapter.

Either way, I'd consider Barb's strings to be best practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect there is something amiss in my FM file and I may have a closer look when I have some free time, but Barb's suggestion has fixed it anyway (I guess it forces it to behave correctly), so that's what I'll use. Thanks Barb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amiss, Paul or just other things going on. Without seeing your file—and with just the info you shared—that's the approach that will always work.

I'm not saying you are incorrect, Ian, but when you approach auto-numbers using the column method, you can't break them.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, Barb,

The numbering is effectively hierarchical, so for a given position in the number string the next higher level controls the reset, therefore a missing counter is the same as < =0>. This only works work when the missing counter is the last in the string. I do use < =0> in other positions when necessary of course. I may start to use it in the future if there is a chance of it failing for some users.

Matt have you tried to do without it? If so does it work for you?

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it as an insurance policy, Ian. And with the limited info we were working with, it was also the most direct answer.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven't tested this lately (and don't have time to fully test right now), but you may be considering structured Fm behaviour. (UK spelling, for your benefit )

To my best recollection, the reset is required in unstructured environments, but as Barb said, certainly is an insurance policy.

The explicit reset also helps "the next" Fm template designer understand the intent of the strings, perhaps avoiding future issues.

@paul, sorry for hijacking your thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines