• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you set FM 2019 to paste plain text by default?

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In earlier versions of FrameMaker, you could edit the maker.ini file to prioritize TEXT over other options in the clipboard when pasting text. The clipboard line does not appear in my FM 2019 maker.ini file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

It is still present in the maker.ini in ($FMHOME\maker.ini) in the Preferences section. $FMHOME is the installation directory where FrameMaker is installed on your machine. (Usually C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2019).

The default entry is this one:

[Preferences]

ClipboardFormatsPriorities=FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT, TEXT

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi en71557408:

You are right, it's gone from the maker.ini file, but you can add it back in. Do you have a copy of the syntax from an earlier version? You can just cut and paste it. If not, let me know and I'll track it down for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb! I’m afraid I don’t have and earlier version. If it’s easy for you to send me the line to paste in, I’d really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Erling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still present in the maker.ini in ($FMHOME\maker.ini) in the Preferences section. $FMHOME is the installation directory where FrameMaker is installed on your machine. (Usually C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2019).

The default entry is this one:

[Preferences]

ClipboardFormatsPriorities=FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT, TEXT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stefan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm hoping that this thread is still being monitored.  I found the maker.ini file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2019 and the default is exactly as you said.  I changed the order to begin with TEXT, UNICODE TEXT, etc etc.  Re-oped Frame, and nothing changed.  Sill not pasting as plain text.  I have a large amount of formatted Word text that I need to insert, so plain text would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of things for you to check: 1) Make sure that FrameMaker is closed before you edit the maker.ini file and make sure you have write permissions for that folder.

2) There is another maker.ini in this folder:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\15

where <UserName> is your Windows login name. Any key/values in this one override the same key/value pairs in the main maker.ini file. Check to see that this key/value pair is in the user maker.ini file; if it is change the clipboard order in the user maker.ini file instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, editing the maker file in the 15 folder worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary - check both of your maker.ini files - you may have the line in both & one is overriding the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it's working like it used to in Frame 9 now 🙂  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my user profile maker.ini file but that did not work.  I needed the maker.ini file under program files/adobe/adobe FrameMaker 2020 to be updated but did not have admin to do so and needed IT department to do so.  If the user profile is supposed to update the program file, it was not doing so, maybe because it required admin.  Once that file was changed, then it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the line exists in both locations, the User Profile one will override the Program Files one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines