• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add pop-up text window when hovering over a word (i.e. Acronym - spelled out in text box)

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could I create a pop-up in Framemaker 12 by hovering over a word, say, an acronym, and have a pop-up displayed with the acronym spelled out?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shlomo Peretz of Microtype has a product called FrameMaker to Acrobat TimeSavers ($200) and one of its add-ons, Form Assistant, can create these for you. Otherwise, I think you have to do stuff with reference pages and postscript commands. This is not a capability that Frame has built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you're looking for this effect in a PDF, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Assuming you're looking for this effect in a PDF, right?

That would be an important clarification.

Alas, I suspect most authors today would like it to work in PDF for both Xrefs and just a local pop-up of some sort,
and also
flow to HTML as a title="pop_up_text", such as via <a… or <abbr… tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would like to have the functionality in Framemaker or PDF.  Whichever one can achieve what I'm looking for.  Another option, which I'm sure is more cumbersome, would be to go to HTML5?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just looked for such a solution a few weeks ago, but did not find something.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker-discussions/hypertext-command-to-display-hover-text-in-the...

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Back in Fm 12 you should find the Hypertext markers for Alert and Alert with Title

They get close to what you're looking for.

In RoboHelp you can set up autoexpand glossary markers, but I don't know if you can set up Fm content to apply that effect.

I recommend inserting Glossary and GlossaryTerm markers for your content and then letting the HTML5 collect that content into the Glossary in the HTML5 output.

You can also use those markers to generate a glossary file for PDF purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines