Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create tables with varying numbers of columns in Framemaker

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I need to make a table that has 2, 3, or 4 columns - in the same table. The workflow that I currently follow:

1. Create a table with 4 columns.
  2. When required, straddle the columns to reduce the numbers of columns to 2 or 3.

The problem is with unequal column spacing when odd number of columns is required. Is there another way to create tables in Framemaker with greater flexibility?

For example., please find below a table in MS Word that has equal widths for 2, 3, or 4 columns and a similar table in Framemaker that has unequal width for 3 columns, as the only option I have is to straddle the widths.

Is there a way to insert an odd numbers of columns in a table with even numbers or vice versa?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Apurva 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Frame and Word handle tables very differently. It's one of the few things that I think Word does better than Frame (yes, I know, heresy ).

I think the only way to do what you want is to find the lowest common multiple of the different column numbers you want and then straddle as needed. For your example, you'd need to set up 12 columns.

If I were you, I'd set up multiple single row tables that have your columns preset, then when you need a row that has, say, 3 columns, you copy the row from the pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting question! I was expecting "equal widths totalling …" to deliver, well, equal widths totalling – but it doesn't: at least, not with FM12. As Apurva says, it simply makes the merged cells the same width as the two cells above. (1* 2* 1*, in CALS notation)

notEqual.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame and Word handle tables very differently. It's one of the few things that I think Word does better than Frame (yes, I know, heresy ).

I think the only way to do what you want is to find the lowest common multiple of the different column numbers you want and then straddle as needed. For your example, you'd need to set up 12 columns.

If I were you, I'd set up multiple single row tables that have your columns preset, then when you need a row that has, say, 3 columns, you copy the row from the preset table and paste it as an insert after (or before) into your table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word is simply splitting and merging table cells automatically when creating uneven columns.

Technically, Word is making a 6 column table "behind the scenes" for you. It's a lot more work in Frame.

You may want to PDF the tables and import as linked images.

PS: Many programs do tables better than Frame, including Word and InDesign.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Framemaker can import Word tables directly as well. Copy the table from Word and paste into Framemaker (I am using FM 2019). Then apply the table styles and paragraph styles for cells. The issues start cropping up when the original table has merged cells or vertical text etc.

Regards

Apurva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

The (partial) solution to making tables with varying number of columns is as follows:

1. Make the table in Word.
  2. Copy the table and paste it on the Framemaker (I have FM 2019) page.
  3. Format the table by using the FM table style. Format the cells with paragraph style.
  4. And there you have it.

You cannot add a sensible table header to this as that would have 6 columns! Otherwise the above workflow is the doable solution.

Regards

Apurva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines