Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get FM user guide INSIDE a mobile app

Participant ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I work for a medical device company that is required to develop help for everything, including our mobile app. Here's the question: what's the best way to get the mobile app help INSIDE the mobile app? I understand the other options - HTML5, etc, but am wanting to know specifically how to integrate a user guide with a mobile app.

- we don't want users to download 2 apps (one for the app, one for help)

- we can't assume users are connected to the internet for HTML/HTML5 content

Has anyone out there done this? Will developers have to include this manually? (Yes, I understand that most apps are easy enough to use that integrated help is not necessary.)

Thank you!

Diane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you talked to your developers about what they would like (or what they can package and call from the app)? I know that RoboHelp offers (or offered at one time) a mobile phone-gap app output for content, but I don't really know how that worked in real life applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be meeting with them tomorrow. I'm very hesitant to invest more money in Adobe tools. I have had some significant quality issues with FrameMaker 2015. Thanks Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't expect that your developers want to produce a help app for a mobile app.

I would expect that they want responsive help that would load with the mobile app itself.

If you do want to produce a separate help app, your Adobe ID lets you create one app via build.phonegap.com (an Adobe service)

If you have an Adobe CC subscription, you can create something like 20 different apps as part of your subscription.

BTW, I'll be giving a short presentation at the Adobe booth at LavaCon in Portland next Monday discussing mobile app output from TCS apps.

*Deploying a mobile app requires Android and/or Apple Developer accounts, which are less than easy to set up and create the necessary provisioning files for deployment to devices.

LMK if you have more questions about either the help or the app output.

-Matt

techcommtools.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is great information, Matt. I wish I could be there Monday. I am, however, pretty sure I will have more questions for you after I meet with developers.

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines