• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to insert a blank page in a document ?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking for the same "page break" function used in Word but for FrameMaker to insert and jump to a blank page in the document.

It must be so easy but I can't find it.

Thanks

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

It's at Special > Page Break

in older versions*, but all that does is locally override the Pagination of the current paragraph to start at a page top. If you later update formats, removing overrides, it's going to revert.

There are only about a zillion ways to force a new page or an empty page, and this can be further complicated by just how empty you might want a deliberately empty page to be, for example:

• Heading Pagination formats that specify top of page, perhaps top of left/right
  • Paginat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Ashley_Bryant: … I've used the Special > Page Break  … FrameMaker 2020, and the Special menu is gone.

It's on the Insert menu now.
It still works the way it always did, applying a fragile Pagination override to the selected paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's at Special > Page Break

in older versions*, but all that does is locally override the Pagination of the current paragraph to start at a page top. If you later update formats, removing overrides, it's going to revert.

There are only about a zillion ways to force a new page or an empty page, and this can be further complicated by just how empty you might want a deliberately empty page to be, for example:

• Heading Pagination formats that specify top of page, perhaps top of left/right
  • Pagination: Keep with next/previous, that may force content to new page
  • Empty anchored Frame-Below that shoves content to new page.
  • Empty borderless tables that do the same thing
  • Specific paragraph formats that trigger what appears to be an empty page.

PS - Special > Add Disconnected Page
is almost always an unwise way to do it.

* Update: in newer versions, it's on the Insert menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob. I see that your response is from a few years ago. Has anything changes since then? I've used the Special > Page Break feature for 10 years in a particular document that I maintain. I justed upgraded to FrameMaker 2020, and the Special menu is gone. 

Can you please give me your thoughts on the simplest way to force a page break (other than pressing Return one or two times)? I don't want a blank page. I just want to adjust where it breaks. I never had problems with the old method, and I don't understand why Adobe removed it. (Sorry if I'm venting a little.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashley_Bryant: … I've used the Special > Page Break  … FrameMaker 2020, and the Special menu is gone.

It's on the Insert menu now.
It still works the way it always did, applying a fragile Pagination override to the selected paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I know it's not a best practice, but it works for this document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use manual page breaks with the Page Break pod. No problem.

You can also find menu items with the command search at the top of the FrameMaker window. There is a magnifier glass, and when you type something there, it suggests the corresponding command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! Searching with the magnifier brought up what I was looking for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines