• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to run TCS installer – not a read.me in sight!

Advisor ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, despite administrative hassles and an astoundingly slow network, I finally managed to download the TCS .zip. But here's what happened so far:

1. download TechnicalCommunicationSuite_en_US_WIN_64.zip
  2. unzip – result, folder "Technical Communication Suite", containing Technical Communication Suite.ccp plus subfolders Build and Exceptions
  3. explore subfolder Build, containing subfolders plus setup.exe and Technical Communications Suite.msi
  4. run Technical Communications Suite.msi – a few moments of progress thermometer, then "Adobe Installer has stopped working"

Am I supposed to run setup.exe first / instead? or am I really expected to run the snazzy new .msi installer, but something has gone wrong? A bit more "technical communication" around the Technical Communications Suite might not come amiss :-}

TOPICS
Error , Installation and licensing , Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, there's usually a setup.exe either inside the zip file's unpacked TCS folder or a companion setup.exe that accompanied the main zip package. I'd give tcssup@adobe.com a buzz. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, ignore the .msi? I'll roll up my sleeves and try contacting Adobe Support. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As Jeff said:

Can you find the setup.exe file in the zip file?

Just unpack the zip file and start the setup file.

Only if you cannot find it, send a message to tcssup@adobe.com 

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A combination of despair and end-of-year days off has delayed my reply … but now I can say I did indeed contact Adobe, and only had to explain the same thing three or four times before they were able to conclude it really ain't their fault! Our in-house 'Support' people couldn't just buy the licence and run the Adobe installer for the one and only user – no, they had to [try and] make a package all of their very own. Which is, so far, not working. I have another session with in-house Support scheduled for this afternoon; wish me luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What did you buy?

Are you sure you downloaded the correct file?

Although I have only FrameMaker and not the Technical Suite, I would be surprised, if you have to create a package before you can install it.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you don't need to create a package! my guess is, our 'Support' team is used to making packages to roll out uploads for a couple of hundred licences … and don't know what to do when confronted with a lone user. But they didn't call me anyway, so I'm forgetting about this until next year ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing like a crack IT team working to make your life better (lol)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed … nothing like a crack team <vbg>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines