• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop scrolling text on "welcome" screen?

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to 2017 and have not found a way to stop the--incredibly annoying--scrolling text on the opening screen. Does anyone know how that text can be stopped? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know exactly how to do the first one since the text file didnt break into separate lines in Notepad.

So I took a sledgehammer to it and just deleted the file (the one in the "welcomeScreen" folder) and that did the "trick" as you say. No more scrolling, and no apparent problems.

The other suggestion on changing the scroll rate didn't do anything. I tried changing it in both the License and the Trial folders. Deleting it also had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was interesting. Maybe users were clamoring for a customizable welcome screen, but I'd prefer to simply not have such a screen and have FM open to the workspace like it used to. Anything else is just more noise to have to filter out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you don't want te wellcomescreen at all, just edit

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\14\maker.ini

change line 53: from

DontShowWelcomeScreen=Off

to

DontShowWelcomeScreen=On.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not found a method to stop the rotation, but to hide the items above the Learn section:

1. Locate file C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\14\resources\welcomeScreen\script.js
  2. Create a copy of this and name it script-ori.js
  3. Open the script file with a text editor
  4. Locate the line function AddMarketingContent(source) {
  5. Add below this a line just containing return;
  6. Save the modified script

At the next start of FrameMaker 14 (2017) the mentioned area is blank.

Be aware that you may miss some information from Adobe, because the content of the rotated info-pieces is taken from the net.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know exactly how to do the first one since the text file didnt break into separate lines in Notepad.

So I took a sledgehammer to it and just deleted the file (the one in the "welcomeScreen" folder) and that did the "trick" as you say. No more scrolling, and no apparent problems.

The other suggestion on changing the scroll rate didn't do anything. I tried changing it in both the License and the Trial folders. Deleting it also had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After all the trick is relatively simple:

Locate file C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\14\resources\trial\point.js

Close to start of the file change the value 5000 (5 sec) to 3600000 (1h)

You can still use the buttons < and > to scroll manually

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines