• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would a FrameMakerer collect and consolidate all image files in a Book?

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's a weird one.

Let's say I made a Book and files with images, but the images are all over the darned place on the server.

I'd like to gather all of the images (unfortunately about 200) and put them into a folder inside my Project folder.

How would a FrameMaker Samurai make this happen?  Any and all suggestions taken, and I'm not afraid of hard work.

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gathering the images is the easy part. I think all of the newer FMs have an Archive function that does that. The trick, where needed, is revising all the references to to pick up the images at the new repository.

There are probably scripts available for doing that at the .fm level.

When I last needed to do it (FM7/Unix), I wrote Unix scripts that worked on the .mif files, doing both the gathering and the path refactoring. It can be done, and is, if only due to needing exportable documents for outside translation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a PathChanger script that writes the paths out to a CSV file that you can edit with Excel. Then you run another component of the script to update the paths in your FrameMaker documents or book. See frameexpert.com/store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there? I'm not aware of one built-in to Frame, which is why I use Rick Quatro's ArchiveES script. It does what Jim is asking, which is pulling all the graphics files from wherever they're currently stored and putting them into a Graphics folder within the folder designated for archiving the book and also updating the path names in the FM files to use the new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines